Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twobytwo

ideas for Mystery Run

9 posts in this topic

Looking for ideas for this years Mystery Run. For those who attended previous ones.... what were some highlights? What didn't work?

For this year, looking for suggestions. Where would you like to go/do/see? General ideas of places to go, but also if you know a specific place that would be worthwhile to consider - please share!

-Small townships/villages that would be nice to drive through

-Attractions, factories, museums, brewery/wineries, farms, etc...

What was the opinion on the Trenton area last year? What does the forum feel about starting more centrally near Toronto?

All help is appreciated.

Peterborough, Buckhorn, Kawarthas area ???

Collingwood, Wasaga, Barrie area ???

East of and around Orillia area ???

Niagra and winery areas ???

Loop around southern Ontario ???

Nothing in or near Toronto thank you. No mystery there, just traffic (IMHO).

Just my 2 cents worth.

3 people like this

Last year's tour was great - except for the trip through Toronto traffic - bad news! Maybe not schedule on a holiday weekend this time around? :)

2 people like this

Try to avoid conflicting dates between the Mystery Run and something put on in the USA. This could adversely affect the attendance of the Mystery Run. Events in California shouldn't have any affect, but something within a one days drive from wherever the Mystery Run is to be held could be devastating to attendance.

By-passing Toronto (and it's suburbs) is a good thing. Too many lights and traffic in general to keep an organized 'tour' going with any semblance of order. Bill (smartnhappy) had some very good suggestions. Also avoiding a holiday weekend (traffic) is a plus.

Gravenhurst has a 3 hour tour (insert Gilligans Island theme song here) on the RMS Segwun which includes dinner. The RMS Segwun is the oldest operating steam driven vessel in North America and the second oldest in the world, built in 1887 to cruise the Muskoka Lakes in the District of Muskoka, Ontario, Canada. Spike and I took the tour several years ago and it was fascinating. A tour of the engine room is (was at the time) also permitted.

If it is to be located in southwestern Ontario, it would still be attractive to our US cousins and could include a visit to the Plunkett Estate for a car show which showcases older and unusual cars. This happens on a Thursday, but the smart car group from the London area have been the featured car of the night, once a year for several years now and a few US members who were coming this way to attend the Mystery Run, also took part in this event.. There is a scenic spot around a pond on the estate set aside for us.

Just a few suggestions to think about.

Ron

post-7529-0-65815600-1428589872_thumb.jp

Huntsville/Muskoka is a nice area, and actually really easy to get to for those of us in eastern Ontario (northern route, no GTA traffic, about 4 hours). I was at Deerhurst this winter for an event, amazing place not sure how expensive it gets in the summer but winter was really affordable with great common areas in the buildings to gather in for a drink and discussions. I haven't been there in summer for 25 years now, not sure what the traffic is like in the area anymore! It used to boat trailers everywhere and farmers-slow going but not a lot of volume. Coming from the east it is not a commercial place, very beautiful drive and lots of wilderness.

I have never been on the Mystery Run, but this year I would love to go! I think it's pretty hard to beat the Niagara-on-the-Lake area ...