Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
abbyfireguy

WTB rear stock tires ContiEco Contacts

16 posts in this topic

Looking for a pair of new or nearly new rear tires,175/55/15's . Staying with what's stock on the car to keep the budget down for my daughter..

If you gave anything or know who is cheapest near Vancouver or Kelowna(the in-laws live in Kelowna) give me a shout.

Thanks a bunch.

If you don't find a relatively new used set locally, consider crossing the border to pick up a set. Distribution agreements in Canada keep tire prices too high compared to the States. Even if the tires are made in Canada they are sold for less south of the border. If the tires are made in the NAFTA zone they will only be subject to GST+PST at the border, otherwise a 7% duty will apply. Even so, and despite the tanking exchange rate, you may be able to find tires for less down there. I just ordered a pair of 16" tires for my aftermarket rims from www.tirerack.com and the savings are real. Last September the best local price I found for two tires was $370 plus taxes (the tires have since been discontinued in Canada); they were $279 Canadian this week from Tire rack after shipping. I expect to pay duty (Japan) when I pick them up, so I'll end up saving about $80. Certainly worth the trip!

I live 5 minutes from the border and shop in U.S. all the time. I also have a mailing address in Sumas Washington because I get tons of stuff shipped there. Just trying to save the crappy exchange on the dollar. Drives me nuts with the cost of stuff in Canada from all the taxes.

I also shop in the US all the time and my stuff is sent to Point Roberts, WA.

The only time I ever paid taxes was for a bike frame made in California!

I've brought up to $700.00 back and been waived through with the one

exception... :icon_rolleyes:

I'd say I get waved through maybe one time in five, but I declare almost everything. I travel a lot and if I get caught in a lie at CBSA they can and will revoke my Nexus card (I know two people to whom it happened, for someone trivial like a pair of Payless shoes).

I also declare absolutely everything I have picked up from my drop box.

I think the big difference with Point Roberts is that there are around six

companies which provide a drop box service and as such are probably

collectively the largest employers in such a small town. If CBSA

suddenly started charging taxes and duties on all purchases, business

would drop off and jobs would be lost... :no:

You could probably just drive over the border, get the tires changed and come back. You wouldn't have to declare anything.

Wrong. It doesn't matter if the tires are on the

car or not, you purchased them in the USA...

Yes, I know. But who's going to know? Just don't pay with a credit card, because sometimes they run the records.

I agree with marchanna, having the tires put on and paying cash is the way to do it....same with if you're picking up parts from a drop box, have them installed....going clothes shopping? Wear crap clothes for the trip and wear the new ones home...

Unless you're the kinda person that declares everything from the fuel you bought to the gum you're chewing...in that case thanks for the tax money!

I'm not too cynical, so I only agree for the most part. Most of the times I go over the border -- an average of twice a month or more -- I cross to pick stuff up only and then come right back. They're not stupid at CBSA, and they know me (and my car) well. I *have* to declare stuff, or they'd tear my car apart. I'm not losing my Nexus and Global Entry just to save a bit of sales tax money. My "trusted traveler" status is way too important to me to be flipping the bird to Stephen Harper and Jacques Parizeau and all the other cronies every time I cross.

Well, everyone has to weigh the cost/benefits for themselves. Tires would be hard one for customs to determine, especially if paid for with cash and if you brought back a bottle of scotch that you did declare.