Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smart451Nikola

Installing DRL or Day Running Lights

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I have bought DRL but only lights without grill because it is to expensive and I want to do it all by myself. So, my idea is to normaly make holes in these two grills and put lights in it. The problem is I want them to turn on when car is unlocked and turn off when car is locked. Everyone knows that this is what interior light does - it is on when car is unlocked and off when car is locked. Another thing what I want to do is that DRL are on IN 0 position - when car lights are off, and when I turn on lights that DRL dim on abotu 20-30%.

Is there anyone who have some schema or idea how to do it? :icon_smile::icon_surprised:

post-15639-0-88508500-1429960565_thumb.jpg

Edited by Smart451Nikola

The logic needed is

(Ignition on AND low beam bulb off) OR interior lights on.

DRL has to switch off completely when main headlights are on. Low beam stays on when high beam is selected so this will still be correct. Alternatively, you could use the taillamps in place of the low beams in this logic, since the taillamps are on whenever the headlamps are selected.

The concerning thing about this logic is that it is potentially live when the ignition key is not on, and could drain the battery if not done properly. I would do it with an old fashioned electromechanical relay, because mechanically open switch contacts can't consume any leakage current when open. Two simple relays can implement the above logic with no electronics involved and no leakage current when the circuit is off.

Don't forget to fuse this circuit correctly.

The above will not work correctly on the North American models which use the low-beam headlamps as daytime running lamps and have the taillamps on all the time (which is what mine does).

I finished my work, did it with two relays (5 pins and 4 pins)....it is on with igniton and off with short lights :D (for now)

post-15639-0-58619400-1432207857_thumb.jpg

post-15639-0-23012500-1432207864_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this