Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
marchanna

Caliper Painting

70 posts in this topic

Hi all,

So I got myself some colour matched caliber paint from G2, and I'm planning on doing this project the week after next - as soon as my wire wheels for my Dremel get delivered. So I was just wondering if any one else has painted their callipers. The only concern I have is painting the the pad seats - I kinda want to in order to control corrosion of the callipers - especially in a critical and typically problematic area, but the G2 is a high-build epoxy resin, and I'm concerned the fit will be too snug afterward. I suppose I can always file it down afterward, but I figured some of you guys might have some creative ideas I haven't thought of yet.

PS. I'm also doing the brackets.

Comments and criticism are welcome :)

I paint mine with "normal" anti-rust paint from Canadian Tire.

For the front it work and hold very well for 2-3 years, than a quick repaint and your are good for an other 2-3 years.

For the back, i had to do it every year. The drum get rusty very quick...

I thought about that too, but I really like the look of the G2 product. I plan on grinding off all the parting lines from the casting, and taking the texture out so it looks really good.

I painted my calipers silver. I posted pics of it a few years back on this site. You can buy caliper paint at Canadian tire in a variety of colours

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've already got the G2 and it's colour matched to the "electric green" of my tridion. So that's a for sure. I already have it sitting in my garage. It looks like you cleaned up the parting lines too.

Edited by marchanna

Oh yeah, your choice of colour will look sharp. Yep, cleaned up the parting lines on the caliper brackets mostly

Don't paint the seats of the pad guides. In fact, wire them out as well as you can and grind off any paint and crud on the corresponding pad surfaces.

DO you paint the calipers on the car, or you will remove them before painting ?

Rusty calipers need a complete clean and rebuild.

MyRustyCalipers.jpg

NoMoreRustyCalipers.jpgRemove rust be electrolysis. 500 grams of washing soda chrystals per 100 litres of water. Use old style non intelligent battery charger as power supply. Negative to calliper. Positive to sactifical piece of scrap metal.

DSC04055.jpg

Brush painted in two pack epoxy.

The G2 kit is a two-part epoxy also. I also got the optional bottle sprayer for it because I wanted to spray it on to get the best finish but I didn't want to ruin a perfectly good spray gun with epoxy.

There are no problems cleaning out spray gun after having used it for two pack epoxy. I clean with normal spray gun wash or the cheapest thinner I can source.

Did you do your brackets also?

Painted my caliper brackets, painted my wheel cylinders, painted subframe, painted sump, painted springs, painted shocks, painted the whole car in two pack epoxy.

87658c45-c836-46da-a802-2cfabb64ceb4.jpg

Fitted the seals wrong way around so they leaked. Must have been the whisky.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Well, whiskey can do that to you :)

It looks good though. Hopefully mine will turn out well also. With the cost of the G2 kit, I can't afford to make any mistakes - it worked out to be about $180 CAD and the set time is really quick. Should be just enough in the kit to do the callipers and the brackets, so I have to prepped and ready to go without any hiccups.

Edited by marchanna

I also painted my caliper slide pins and caliper pistons in way of exposed and pitted areas. The paint allows dust seals to do their job and keep dust and water out.

If I do those extra pieces I probably won't use the G2, because it's expensive and you can't see them anyway. I was also thinking of doing the backside of the caliper and bracket with a cheaper product also, just so I can put on a thicker coat where it counts (aesthetically that is).

I painted my calipers purely in order to extend their operating life. It would appears some paint calipers only to improve their looks. Rather vain reasons in my humble opinion.

Questioning a car owner's reasons for just about anything he or she chooses to do to his or her car is rather pompous in my humble opinion.

Maybe it's all down to the colour!

Mine are still cadmium coloured ;)

Can only be for vain reasons since it has been suggested to paint them when on the vehicle.

In this day and age a let more emphasis is placed on looks rather than content.

That's the way it is and I can accept that.

I'm doing it for both reasons. My original intent was to extend the life of the callipers, but then afterward I thought I might as well make them look nice also. Then I thought it would be cool to color match to the Tridion cell and so on . . .

Can only be for vain reasons since it has been suggested to paint them when on the vehicle.

Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.

It is good and comely for one to eat and to drink, and to enjoy the good of all his labour that he taketh under the sun all the days of his life, which God giveth him: for it is his portion.