Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bessy

Kijiji find: $4000 Smart CDI, 100+mpg claim

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/oakville-halton-region/2006-smart-fortwo-coupe-2-door/1073180689?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Just found this 500km for $12 tank fill claim. I calculated using local fuel price to be 2.2L/100km or 107mpg....of course I emailed and offered to buy it today, if the claim can be proven...drive me around for 500km and then fill the tank for only $12.

Did some calculating and realized I get almost 500km to a tank for $12 of diesel....mixed with 10L of used engine oil. So maybe this guy does the same.

Edited by Bessy

smartzuuk got 127 MPG in his diesel, once...

Gotta jump on that one! ......... a rare smart that is (according to the ad) FRONT wheel drive!.

When i first bought my cdi, i could get 500 km on a $17 fill… but diesel was only 75¢/litre. A $12 fill would have to be 1997 fuel prices.

1 person likes this

When I had my diesel Golf I used to buy diesel at 38 cents a litre. I couldn't even squeeze $20 in the tank and I could drive for 850kms.

Spike and I just got back from a wee trip to Burlington. I was curious about the "500 kms for $12" thing, so we set out today with a regular fill up at our local Husky station. 301 kms later, we got home after visiting Bessy, getting an e-test, visiting Spike's uncle's gravesite, taking the scenic route home via Caledonia and the Grande River. Returning to the same Husky station, and filling to the brim (with witnesses) Silverwing took $7.30 (6.352 L) worth of fuel. Using these numbers, at today's price of $1.14.9/L, it would have cost approximately $12.17 to go 500 kms.

We didn't 'hypermile' it, just set the cruise control at 105 kph and let it run. Naturally a bit slower in the 80kph zones.

2.1 L/100, not possible in those conditions I should think.

Awesome! Just out of curiosity has anyone tried running home heating oil in their CDIs? You couldn't on older diesels because the pump relied of the oiliness of the diesel as it's sole form of lubrication, but I don't know how modern electronic injection deals with this. I could run it in my Golf.

These days I have trouble getting under 5.0 in normal conditions (big wheels and tires don't help). Got a leisurely 4.4 lhk last week on my mostly-steady 85 km/h run to the border and back, which with the stock skinnies I'm guessing would be closer to about 3.8 lhk. But on the freeways around here? Even at 105 in the right lane it refuses to go under 5.0 if I'm not drafting a rig.

Awesome! Just out of curiosity has anyone tried running home heating oil in their CDIs? You couldn't on older diesels because the pump relied of the oiliness of the diesel as it's sole form of lubrication, but I don't know how modern electronic injection deals with this. I could run it in my Golf.

im pretty sure there are huge fines for that in ontario if you get caught with dyed fuel

The wording was changed for the huge fine...it's for anything but clear diesel..so technically used engine oil in the tank isn't clear diesel :(

The wording was changed for the huge fine...it's for anything but clear diesel..so technically used engine oil in the tank isn't clear diesel :(

really?..what about those people who make their own stuff from deep fryer grease?...

someone should invent a filter capable of making everything clear again :icon_smile:

I read once something was happening in Europe somewhere where someone was able to filter it clear. Either way if you didn't pay road tax on the fuel you aren't allowed to use it...no matter what it's made of. But it's all part of the game for some people.

I think the MTO generally targets farmers and commercial vehicles for this. I have never heard of anyone getting inspected, let alone caught for it.

***note to MTO agents reading this post. I do not own a diesel vehicle, so don't waste your time pulling me over***

I got dipped in the BRABUS before lol. They took 40 minutes before they gave up trying to get a fuel sample from the tank due to the neck design.

Posted (edited) · Report post

What was their cause for pulling you over?

Edited by marchanna

It was a Minitstery of the environment thing they we're also looking for emissions equipment

Ah. Well, now you're the first first I know who had their tank dipped - or attempted anyways. Now I can say "yah, I know a guy . . ." :)