Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TekNinja81

LF: 451 Hitch kit and/or Bicycle Rack near the GTA

7 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

The GF and I have decided it would be a wise idea to look into either a bicycle rack, and/or a trailer hitch kit for my Smart.

I'm more interested personally in a hitch since it offers more functionality.

Is there anywhere in the Toronto area that sells/installs these for a reasonable price? I see that SmartMadness in the States sells a hitch for in the $150 range, and that particular one bolts on (though it does require some drilling as well...)

I don't personally know if I expect to be towing anything, though the possibility of trailering a motorcycle is there. Right now it's more immediately needed for the GF's bicycle (and potentially a 2nd for myself in the future.)

Appreciate any insight!

U-Haul sells & installs hitches for the 451 (but not the 450).

Is there anywhere in the Toronto area that sells/installs these for a reasonable price? I see that SmartMadness in the States sells a hitch for in the $150 range, and that particular one bolts on (though it does require some drilling as well...)

U-Haul sells & installs hitches for the 451 (but not the 450).

Sweet. Somehow I never even thought to check with them -- thanks! Looks like about $350 installed, taxes in, and they have a location just a few blocks from my home.

I'll still consider lower-priced alternatives if they exist, but since these guys do the installation with wiring etc, most likely I'll end up going there.

Thanks once again.

Here is another option.

That one looks a bit sketchy to me, do you/anyone you know own one? Looks like the company is in Greece, plus one of the photos of the actual rig show the bicycle's pedal and wheel touching parts of the Smart without any kind of padding in between.

I'd go for the OEM Smart rack perhaps, if anything... but seems quite expensive.

Tow bar and special clamp on bike carrier works quite well and are cheap.

DSC01472.jpg

This Swedish clamp on carrier only cost £9. Bought in 1988.

Tow bar and special clamp on bike carrier works quite well and are cheap.

DSC01472.jpg

This Swedish clamp on carrier only cost £9. Bought in 1988.