Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LeoBarbosa

Desperate for help - What colour is my Smart now?

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hello Everyone:

I bought a set of used panels in order to replace my peeling Rally Red panels. But the guy I bought the panels from is refusing to provide the VIN number, and Mercedes-Benz can't tell me the colour unless I provide them the VIN#. He said it is from a 2010 car.

So, my question is Does anybody know what colour is on my car now? I really need to know as I need to change the registration, as well to paint the hood that was not part of the deal.

I appreciate any cooperation.

Thank you all in advance.

post-15191-0-42203200-1435000871_thumb.jpg

post-15191-0-38283300-1435000882_thumb.jpg

post-15191-0-05243700-1435000891_thumb.jpg

post-15191-0-74239500-1435000905_thumb.jpg

Edited by LeoBarbosa

To the best of my knowledge, that is not a factory color in 2010. Most likely a repaint is the reason he refuses to give you the vin#.

1 person likes this

It kind of looks like the Ruby Red Metallic that was a colour for the 450, but it certainly doesn't look like a factory 451 colour to me.

In terms of changing your registration, you should register to the colour of the tridion. That will never change.

1 person likes this

I am thinking of registering the tridion colour. I believe it is a factory colour as per all plastic are the same colour, inside and out. I got a colours list from MB per my VIN#, and I found a colour named BRUN TERRA, for my year/model 2009. The actual colour is, depending on the sun light, brown. So it might be the original colour of those panels, however I am not confident to register as Brun Terra, unless I find someone with the same colour. Sometimes it looks like Burgundy, but people ask if it is maroon. Still thinking of registering as the Black on the tridion.

The 2008 "red" [orange] panels were changed to real red [Rally Red] for the 2009 model year, so if those are original 2010 panels they should look really red, not brown or orange. Rally Red is molded in color, so the entire panel thickness should be the surface color. :)

1 person likes this

I just put new pictures in the sun light. Now it shows better. I might confused you. My car is 2009, originally Red Rally (the famous peeling smart car). I bought used panels from a guy that said they were from a 2010 model. This guy is refusing to pass the last 6 digits of the donator smart's vin#. And Mercedes Benz wants the VIN# to inform the colour. From the pictures above, you can say it is Brown, not red or ruby.

Ah, looks like the brown colour that was on one of the limited run cars... Need to do some digging to find out what the special edition was even called, let alone what the colour is...

EDIT: It's from the 2010 Highstyle limited run. See this post for a picture of another one... http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopic=825&p=260456

EDIT: This document - http://info.pages.color.tc/perl/..%5CYellowpages%5CSX%5CSMART%5CSMART%20Colour%20Info.pdf - Suggests the paint code is CC7L

EDIT: And here's the CsC Inventory of Highstyles. Chock full of the last 6 digits of the VIN! http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopic=21685

2 people like this

Our 05 smart car colour is based on the tridion in Ontario. Our car has white panels on black tridion. Registration from new has always listed the car as black even though it is mostly white. When I asked why this was the case I was told that the panels can be changed. So your car is considered to be black in Ontario.

2 people like this

+1 to that, the registration is based off of the frame ad the body panels are interchangeable. Not entirely sure the 451's have their paint code on the panels themself but most manufactures actually print a paint code on the pannel.

1 person likes this

What can I say for all those helpful words I just read???

FlossytheSmart, I can not thank you enough.

I very much appreciate all comments.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Best regards!