Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bessy

Affordable Wheel Spacers...interest needed.

66 posts in this topic

Most companies put the least amount of anodizing on their products. For a lot of places around the world, this is probably good enough; but the amount of road salt we Canada creates a perfect condition for galvanic corrosion. The salt mixed with water creates the electrolyte needed for the process, so a little scratch or nick is all that's needed, or in the case of really light anodizing their is sufficient porosity to allow the process to begin.

Do not keep them on during winters. Salt and water forms a strong electrolyte. Worse if running on steel wheels.

A good anodising will protect aluminium for decades if left on its own outside exposed to rain, wind and sun. Add a dissimilar metal and salt and corrosion will brake down the less noble aluminium in no time.

I suppose for only CAD 117 for four you can afford a new set each year?

I only use them for winter, specifically to use roadster steel front wheels on the rear of my 450. Yes, I have always been aware of the galvanic corrosion.

I just sent a message off to the seller in the first listing to see if they're anodized or not.

Okay, so the 15mm are about $65.00 (depending on the exchange) ea + shipping. These are a set of 4. They are not anodized - but I can take care of that.

The shipping is $52 for the first set and $5 for each additional set if we order more than 10.

Anodizing will be about $110 for a batch, so the more we order the cheaper per piece - I will have to get an updated quote.

Also, keep in mind we might get dinged for duty and HST at the border.

There are also other thicknesses 10, 8, and 20mm

So a set of 4 if we order 10 sets would be approx $86 each

If we order 20 set - Approx $78 each

We would still need wheel bolts.

Personally, I think we can do better by getting them made locally.

You will never get 20 signing up. The 450 is on its last leg so no owner will commit himself.

Corrosion is nature's way of reminding us who is in charge.

Perhaps a good anodising may reduce corrosion if the spacer is treated with silk gloves. Regardless we need to take proper precautions because we do not want the spacer to be stuck onto the hub. You can't just kick off a wheel spacers and most do not come with pry slots. Thick protective grease is the answer. Prevents the electrolyte entering. Without electrolyte there is no galvanic corrosion.

I would be up for a set of 4 15mm at that price.

They will be slightly dearer. Bolts and delivery to be added.

After searching around I'm now quite confident we can get wheel bolts for about $1 - $2 each depending on the surface treatment.

For a 15mm spacer you would need 12x1.5mm x 40mm

For a 20mm spacer you would need 12x1.5mm x 45mm

The colour of the anodizing for the spacers does not affect cost, but we would all need to agree on a single colour - i.e. natural aluminum or black are the most likely candidates.

Re anodizing colour - Don't care. Either clear (natural aluminum) or black is fine. In for a bulk buy on the wheel bolts, too.

So they use a new process for the black now which electroplates nickel onto the parts and provides even better corrosion resistance. It's more expensive, but they said they could put them in with another order to bring the cost back down - delivery time wouldn't be guaranteed though - but I don't think that's an issue +/- week based on their production schedule.

Forgive my ignorance but why wheel spacers rather than spacing out the whole bearing/brake assembly to widen the stance? I would rather add only unsprung mass than rotational unsprung mass. You could also play with the camber too.

I assume the CV axles could be pulled out that extra distance without harm? I could check...

As for the galvanic corrosion side of it, you could place stainless shim stock on either side of the aluminum plate to help with the issue. Better to just machine a lightened pair of steel plates that are mounted on the inside of the brakes and get that plated to match the rest of the assembly. It will corrode at the same rate as everything else.

If there is an obvious reason this isn't being done instead I apologize for suggesting it!

Dave