Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartnhappy

Lambeth Harvestfest Parade 2015

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

We've actually been invited to again participate in this year's Lambeth Harvestfest Parade.

It's on Saturday September 12th, starting at 10AM.

I'll post organizational plans closer to the parade date.

So buy some candy and practice your aim..... (just kidding)

PS. following the parade Liz and Glenn are welcoming everyone to meet at their house (74 David St.) for a pot luck BBQ- RRSP, BYOB

SIGN-UP..... Parade??/BBQ??

1) Bill..... Yes/Yes

2) Liz & Glenn..... Yes/Yes (obviously)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

Edited by smartnhappy

1) Bill..... Yes/Yes
3) Dot & Ron ....... Yes/Yes
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

1) Bill..... Yes/Yes

4) Heather & Joe....... Yes/Yes

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

Just a reminder to sign up as soon as you can so that I can give parade organizers the number of Smart cars participating.

There's also a charity pancake breakfast available before the parade, which I highly recommend.

It'll be a day of Smart fun..... and eating.

1) Bill..... Yes/Yes

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

1) Bill..... Yes/Yes
5) Larry & Gail .......... Yes/Yes
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

The parade forms up along Sunray Ave east of Campbell St. around 9:30AM on Saturday morning.

Just drive along Sunray till you find the Smart group. We're usually near the end.

This year we might end up scattered throughout the parade instead of as a group.

As for me, I'll be scarfing pancakes and sausage ($5) at the Community Centre on Beattie St. between 7:30 and 8AM.

BTW.... after Glenn's BBQ there's a car show at the Legion from 2 till 8PM, if anyone's interested.

There'll also be fireworks at dusk at the Community Centre.

There is a poker run mystery tour ($5) on Sunday, forming up between 10 and 11 at Tommy's Motors and beef BBQ ($15) from 5 to 7PM at the Community Centre.

More details on all events and happenings is at www.harvestfest.on.ca

Quite a weekend in ol' Lambeth, eh.

Edited by smartnhappy

Some of us in the past have done circles, others just drive straight ... Your Choice .. Most (all?) of us toss candy to the spectating kids. Personally, I prefer keeping it straight so we can focus more on the kids and getting the candy into their hands.

Fact is, our Smart car group is really known for tossing candy to the kids lining the parade route.

We all drive in a controlled and safe manner. The cars themselves are the parade attraction.

We don't try to imitate the Shriners, best known for their organized go-cart antics.

A reminder from parade organizers this year..... NO PEANUTS !!

1) Bill..... Yes/Yes

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

Weather Update ----- 11:10pm Thursday evening

The Weather Network is predicting a cloudy day with sunny periods and reports a 30% chance of precipitation for Saturday with a high of 19C.

Sounds like things will be just fine for the day's events.

Our 'starting spot on the grid' is in front of #80 Sunray Ave. We are asked to be in place by 9:30AM.

Here's a reminder sent to all participating groups from parade organizers.....

""The Harvestfest Parade is on Saturday. It starts at 10am sharp rain or shine! We ask that you please be in your line up position by 9:30am. If you are giving out candy, it must be peanut-free. We would prefer that you have walkers giving candy out where possible, but if not, we ask that you gently toss the candy vs throwing it from the vehicle ;)""

Here's a reminder from me.....

Needless to say, safety is paramount and extreme caution is required during the entire parade.

Please pay close attention and remember that the kids are interested only in candy and not in safety.

Thus endeth the lecture.

See y'all there.

1) Bill..... Yes/Yes

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

Our 'starting spot on the grid' is in front of #80 Sunray Ave. We are asked to be in place by 9:30AM.

Here's a reminder sent to all participating groups from parade organizers.....

""The Harvestfest Parade is on Saturday. It starts at 10am sharp rain or shine! We ask that you please be in your line up position by 9:30am. If you are giving out candy, it must be peanut-free. We would prefer that you have walkers giving candy out where possible, but if not, we ask that you gently toss the candy vs throwing it from the vehicle ;)""

Here's a reminder from me.....

Needless to say, safety is paramount and extreme caution is required during the entire parade.

Please pay close attention and remember that the kids are interested only in candy and not in safety.

Thus endeth the lecture.

See y'all there.

1) Bill..... Yes/Yes

6) James & Dawn ...... Yes/Yes

7)

8)

9)

10)

Unfortunately we will not be able to make the parade or BBQ again this year, seems I am stuck working

again and no one is able to work for me. Have a great time and hope there is no rain (might short out that new electric Smart) on Saturday.

Enjoy!!

We did it again. No problems.

Had 8 Smarts in attendance. Perfect for 2 by 2, side by side parading.

Had 2 electrics in the fold. Tons of candy tossed, many children happy.

Glenn & Liz's BBQ was great, as always. They both put so much work into it, more than most people realize. Many thanks!

Dave and his wife (sorry, namezymer..... that's OK, she calls me Ken) came from Hamilton with their 1919 Model T Ford. Beautiful!

It was great to also see James and Dawn, old members from way back. Long time, no see.

And new members, including a 2-day-450 owner (again, namezymers) who's still getting used to the car's starting idiosyncrasies.

Dave let James start and drive the Model T, and Glenn gave test drives in his new ED.

Discussed with James about possibly an October outing to Bayfield. Nice drive to a good restaurant. I'll let everyone know.

System won't let me upload photos as attachments right now ??? so I'll try later.

Edited by smartnhappy

Bill, Dave's wife's name is Pam...... I usually forget names too, but I have a cousin Pam, so it was easy for me for a change.

The weather really co-operated today. Mostly sunny with a steady, gentle breeze. Temps were in the high teens, low 20's.

Feedback from some of the parents of kids lining the parade route was positive.

Despite the slightly cooler temperatures, the sun broke through and the pool was sampled by one brave soul who stayed in it for almost an hour. A 1919 Ford (former smart owners, Dave & Pam) joined us for the BBQ and offered rides to a couple of lucky folks. All power sources of smart were present.....diesel, gas and electric.

Liz and Glenn kept up their reputation of putting on a great BBQ/pool party. Home made beer and wine were available to those who wished to partake.

A hearty well done to Bill for being the go-between for the group and the parade organizers .... To Glenn & Liz for the BBQ/pool party .... and everyone who attended and participated in the smart portion of the parade. Nice to see Dawn and James come down this way from Bayfield. Long time, No see you two.

post-7529-0-92095400-1442086767_thumb.jp

post-7529-0-86191400-1442086812_thumb.jp

post-7529-0-55773400-1442086857_thumb.jp

post-7529-0-36223100-1442086982_thumb.jp

post-7529-0-12580500-1442087906_thumb.jp

A big thank you to Bill for getting the parade organized and all those who participated.

I'm always amazed at how many children show up to see the parade - it was awesome.

It was also nice that the weather cleared. Already looking forward to next year! Cheers!

Can't upload photos.

Tried a shot of the group pre-parade, about 700kB file size.

Both up loaders show error - file size too big to upload.

I've confirmed file size thru e-mailing.

I'll try again later.