Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caveman

access to turn motor with tool

32 posts in this topic

A good friend of mine may have cooked her 2006 gasser Smart. I want to go and turn the motor over by hand to see if it is seized or if it's just the starter. How easy/hard is it to get to the crank pulley and bolt? And if I can get to it without dropping the engine, what size bolt is it? Is the starter in the same place as a diesel Smart, because i was fortunately blessed with changing one of those once. Cheers

If it has not been driven for a while and it has been stored in a humid location the alternator may be seized. This is a common problem with this design of alternator. Evilution has a description to loosen up the alternator.

No, she stopped for gas and then it didn't start. What she described sounds like a jammed started ,BUT it was due for an oil change and the level was probably low so...

Turn engine using an E18 ring spanner, alternatively use an E18 socket, long extension and ratchet. The latter require removal of a plastic splash guard.

okay thanks for the bolt size, but I would like to know if it can be done from the top or will the car have to be lifted and I would have to crawl under to get at it

2006 gas fortwo in Canada, that's got to be difficult to get serviced...

? I'm sure she said it was a 2006, maybe a 2008 which would explain why the forums don't have a place for 2006 gassers! Anyways thanks for the responses, I guess i will have to bring my floor jack to the underground parking garage where she had it towed to and get under it. She really liked driving it and would like to get it fixed, but good used engines don't seem to be always available. There is only one scrap yard i trust around here and they get one maybe once every month or two.

A 2008 has a Mitsubishi engine hence my advice based on a 2006 Smart with Mercedes engine won't apply.

SCOA has a lot more tech info on the 451 smart. CsC started when the CDI 450 came to Canada, and since the technical support for the 451 developed so well at SCOA there isn't too much here, remains great resource for the CDI though.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/

? I'm sure she said it was a 2006, maybe a 2008 which would explain why the forums don't have a place for 2006 gassers!

Can you post the last 6 digits of the V.I.N.? Perhaps PM me or MikeT if you don't wish to display them publicly. That could get you a quick answer regarding the year of the smart.

Smart 450 manufactured from 1998 to 2007 looks like this:

800px-Smart_I_Facelift_front_20090919.jp

Smart 451 manufactured from 2007 to 2014 looks like this one:

800px-Fortu_passion_2010.jpg

Which of the two does she have?

I haven't seen it since I changed her srtuts and front brakes last fall so not sure exactly what it looked like as far as the differences are. Now I just read about the issue that if the battery goes dead, it's impossible to unlock the car? Is this true? personally I want her to sell it for parts or scrap it buy another one . Long story but she has already put too much money into this one as it is. What's it worth to part out?

Are you and your lady friend not talking to each other? Surely you could just ask her what model Smart she has?

Even with a dead battery, you can gain access to the interior by going in through the hatch/tailgate by just using the key. Once inside, you would have access to the battery to put a charger on it or replace it...whichever works.

Even with a dead battery, you can gain access to the interior by going in through the hatch/tailgate by just using the key. Once inside, you would have access to the battery to put a charger on it or replace it...whichever works.

phew- thanks!

Are you and your lady friend not talking to each other? Surely you could just ask her what model Smart she has?

yes- but long story...

When changing front struts, did you remove all front body panels for access to top nut for struts? If yes, she has a 450. On the 451, one can simply remove bonnet which is a whole lot quicker and easier. Another thing, the 451 needs a special spreader tool to separate strut from steering knuckle. This tool is not required on a 450 but bearing dust cap must be removed to separate strut from steering knuckle.

Above ought to suffice in establishing what model Smart you changed struts on. Last fall is not that long ago.

It's practically fall all summer in Montreal, hence Chelsea FC's choice of this city as their pre-season training base.

When changing front struts, did you remove all front body panels for access to top nut for struts? If yes, she has a 450. On the 451, one can simply remove bonnet which is a whole lot quicker and easier. Another thing, the 451 needs a special spreader tool to separate strut from steering knuckle. This tool is not required on a 450 but bearing dust cap must be removed to separate strut from steering knuckle.

Above ought to suffice in establishing what model Smart you changed struts on. Last fall is not that long ago.

Not sure how tight either are, I just used a long extension with a swivel and impact gun. I do seem to remember spreading the hub to get the strut out. And the strut went deep into the hub by a few inches at least. And sorry it is long ago in the sense that I have worked on a few hundred cars since then!

Why come here and ask simple questions if you have worked on hundreds of cars?