Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
marchanna

Which wire is which? Adding resistors for LED brake/signal

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm putting LEDs in my tail lights for brake/signal. Does anyone happen to know off hand which wire is which for the resistors?

Thanks in advance.

Are you making your own LED lamp modules? Or just installing brand name bulbs? If the latter, you only need load resistors on the turn signals and they go across from the +12 to the ground in parallel.

No, not making my own. I know how to do it, just don't know which colour wire is which. I haven't really looked yet, but I usually find european cars seem to randomly select the colours they use.

I can always test each wire if it's not obvious by looking at the assembly. I just thought some one has probably already done this and knows which is which.

The only lights that would need load resistors are the turn signals, to avoid a fast-flash (and thus no actual light emitted from the turn signal LEDs). If you buy Philips LEDs, the resistors are supplied. Otherwise you'd have to look up the correct wattage and ohm rating. They are beefy, with built-in heat sinks. Ideally, use foil tape to secure the resistors to metal inside the tridion, and away from any other wires and heat-sensitive materials. The indicator wires in the 451 should be the Bk/Wh on the driver's side and Bk/Gn on the passenger's side, with ground always Brown.

I got it all figured out. I tested it with my multimeter before I saw your post, but you're exactly right. For quick reference for other people, it happens to be the wires on opposite ends of the harness.

Thanks again.