Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
frmg0014

Turbo seals

5 posts in this topic

I have seen threads in this forum where people have their turbos leaking oil and therefore requiring a turbo replacement? Is it possible to replace the seals in the CDI turbo? If so, anyone know the exact part numbers?

There was mention regarding a $6 seal in one of the threads I've seen. Anyone know the part number for this? And I guess this is the only seal serviceable? I'm in the process of obtaining a turbo core cartridge for one of my smarts. Hoping to get as much info as I can regarding seals I can service.

Posted (edited) · Report post

That $6 easily replaced seal is an external rubber one for the turbo inlet, and not the real cause of your leak. A turbo leaking oil is actually very rare, the source of the oil is the crankcase venting and is entirely normal. It often drips from the turbo area, but a wee bit of silicone well applied is all it needs.

Again, the presence of oil in the intake is normal, any very slight leak out of the intake will lead to oil outside the intake, but fixing the seep is just as effective as changing the turbo and accidentally fixing the seep as you do so. If the turbo sounds okay and makes boost, the turbo is fine and not a problem. Clean it up well, drive a little to positively locate the source, reassemble whatever it is with a thin smear of good engine silicone and leave that expensive and perfectly good turbo where it is.

Note that the oil tube to the turbo has been known to develop a pinhole leak from rust perforation, but again that's external to the turbo itself.

Edited by Alex
spelling

I have attempted to rebuild turbos, it is not an easy task. Best bet is to source a complete rotating assembly that is balanced. Removing the wheel to access the turbo internals means you upset the balancing. This is specialized stuff, and not cheap to have it done. I also understand most of the exhaust housings are rusted out or cracked by now making it hard to fix one up-inspect it carefully before investing in it.