Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
frmg0014

Turbo Cartridge - Replacement

16 posts in this topic

One of my 450's is in need of a new turbo so I purchased a cartridge online. I'm in the process of trying separate the turbo from the rest of the turbo system/manifold and there are 3 rusted bolt in the way. I managed to get the top (bigger) bolt loosened but the other two (front and back) which are smaller won't budge. I nearly have the front bolt rounded off and the back one is only accessible from under the car.

And how do you separate the silver turbo housing? Do you just pry it off or does it need to be spun off? It would help a great deal removing the two bolts I'm stuck with if I can get that housing off first.

Worst case scenerio is that I will have to remove the entire turbo system with the manifold. But even the 2 nuts holding connecting to the muffler and the 7 nuts holding manifold are also badly rusted to the point that you can't fit a socket over them. :no::hammer::nervous::redface:

I have never attempted cartridge removal without first removing manifold. Use an oxy acetylene torch to heat stubborn manifold nuts. Compressor housing is only held on with a large circlip. Do not remove compressor housing before turbo cartridge is completely separated from manifold. Reason is you will be jacking against compressor housing.

Bearing housing is bolted to the manifold with three M6 hex bolts. Apply heat to free stubborn bolts. Then fit longer bolts. Use these as jack screws but ensure there is sufficient thread engagement. I have skimmed the heads on my jack screws leaving a centrepoint which prevents the packers moving when jacking. Use suitable short pieces of steel flatbars as packers to jack against. Jack evenly. Heat helps but must be controlled.

Easier on mine since years ago I took the precaution to replace all manifold nuts, exhaust nuts and the three bolts that hold turbo to manifold with either brass or stainless steel.

Those that have left it too late will find they have to struggle.

Do admit the opportunity was caused by an unfortunate and premature turbo total failure. Suitable brass nuts and stainless steel bolts only cost me about a pound at the time so I thought it was rather silly to reuse the existing rusty fasteners.

Edited by tolsen

Do any of those SS bolts thread into aluminum??? You might end up with an equally big problem on your hands.

Do any of those SS bolts thread into aluminum??? You might end up with an equally big problem on your hands.

No problems at all. The metals are dry so no galvanic corrosion. Stainless steel bolts into aluminium is generally safe but not the other way around.

Well I managed to get the turbo cartridge out without removing the manifold. The biggest problem was the lack of space will only permit a wrench to loosen the three rusted bolts. Will be replacing the two oil feed pipes as well since they don't look too healthy. Just trying to remove the C clip holding the compressor housing on ... how does one go about removing this? Does it need to be compressed or expanded to remove? It very hard to move so it is soaking in PB blaster at the moment.

Use bent heavy duty internal circlip pliars, the type that compresses circlip.

You could clean up your oil pipes and apply protective paint. My pipes are from 2002 and now in good condition. Had to weld repair return oil pipe. Heat the copper seals until red hot then quench in water. This way they turn soft and can be reused.

I bit the dust and purchased new oil pipes from the dealer along with the TIK to compresso housing gasket as mine was leaking from there as well. The return line literally snapped off upon removing the turbo. I tried to salvage the oil feed line and cleaned it with a brush but it had too much pitting. I will be painting the new pipes and most likely be replacing the 3 bolts with stainless steel. As for the c clip.. they are seized and wont budge so I left it soaking in PB blaster... might have to give it a few taps later on.

Edited by frmg0014

I bit the dust and purchased new oil pipes from the dealer along with the TIK to compresso housing gasket as mine was leaking from there as well. The return line literally snapped off upon removing the turbo. I tried to salvage the oil feed line and cleaned it with a brush but it had too much pitting. I will be painting the new pipes and most likely be replacing the 3 bolts with stainless steel. As for the c clip.. they are seized and wont budge so I left it soaking in PB blaster... might have to give it a few taps later on.

Here are a few pics of the turbo... it came with gaskets and as well as a balance report:

2ep83v7.jpg

v4c8yc.jpg

20t3wyd.jpg

iwkfu0.jpg

Edited by frmg0014

You need good forged circlip pliars to remove the internal cirtclip that hold compressor housing to bearing housing. Cheap circlip pliars stamped out of sheet metal are too weak.

Update:

I got the turbo replaced and all is well. The turbo works good and very quiet so I am overall very happy with it. Here is a link to the turbo I purchased for those who might be interested:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Turbo-Core-Cartridge-Chra-KP31-54319880002-for-MCC-Smart-cdi-0-8-CDI/1676804447.html

I believe someone else from here purchased from there as I got that link from one of the turbo replacement threads, but I'd like to confirm that it is in fact a good cartridge and it came with the o-ring that some seem to not come with. Shipping took less than 5 days to get to me.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help (tolsen :thumbyes:). It wasn't fun but I'm glad it's done with. :icon_smile:

Edited by frmg0014

i bought from that same seller..it seems to work fine

mine was $130 canadian shipping included (but the dollar was worth more at the time)

they did not give me the o ring and if i remember right the round gasket was wrong (i think i ended up using some copper washers from my brake parts hoard)

they also included a nice little turbo key chain

(my account there shows a price of $97.75 for the cartridge ...and a total of $130.31 including the shipping)

Edited by LooseLugNuts

Update:

I got the turbo replaced and all is well. The turbo works good and very quiet so I am overall very happy with it. Here is a link to the turbo I purchased for those who might be interested:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Turbo-Core-Cartridge-Chra-KP31-54319880002-for-MCC-Smart-cdi-0-8-CDI/1676804447.html

I believe someone else from here purchased from there as I got that link from one of the turbo replacement threads, but I'd like to confirm that it is in fact a good cartridge and it came with the o-ring that some seem to not come with. Shipping took less than 5 days to get to me.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help (tolsen :thumbyes:). It wasn't fun but I'm glad it's done with. :icon_smile:

Soooo... how did you get the circlip after all. Any other tips or hints to pass on as I will be going down this road in the coming weeks?

The circlip was fairly easy to compress with the proper tool. The reason I was bending the tools was because the clip itself was rusted on to the turbo. Grab a flat screw driver and give it a couple of taps with a mallet.