Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
communitycomposting

WTB: 450 Window Switch

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a 2005 Diesel 450 coupe. One of the window switches went bad. I've swapped them from side to side so I know it's just the switch itself. If anyone knows where to buy one online or has one they would sell, I'd pay for it, plus shipping to Rochester, NY, USA 14608.

Thanks!

_Steve

I’ve done the switch clean up a couple times now, but  this time it looks like the lower contact is now in rough shape.  Maybe time for a new one.  Anyone know a good source in North America, or someone who ships affordable from Europe?  Like to have one on the shelf as I’m not sure this switch will survive another “fix”.

Thank you!  i should have thought of that... I know of Glen, as he did some work on this Smart some years ago for the previous owner, just before I bought it.  Slipped my mind.  I succumbed last night and paid for shipping from the UK, effectively tripling the price of the part, but on the whole not that expensive for a new car part these days, and i wanted to get it off my long autumn season to-do list....

FWIW for those who have the issue, there’s of course plenty of guidance on this forum, but I’ve had the issue about every couple years on this 450, and each time I just pop the switch out, pull it apart without de-soldering just to get access to the contacts, use a metal fingernail file to clean off the contacts (obviously primarily for the “up” side”), dab it with De-Oxit, and reassemble.  Takes about 15 minutes and has always worked.  It was just that this time the lower contact had recessed a bit down into the plastic housing, perhaps due to heat from still making contact but poorly.  I was still able to clean it up well enough to work, but it took more effort, and am assuming its on its last leg.  Just thought I’d share that in case it helps anyone.

12 hours ago, GMC28 said:

I’ve done the switch clean up a couple times now, but  this time it looks like the lower contact is now in rough shape.  Maybe time for a new one.  Anyone know a good source in North America, or someone who ships affordable from Europe?  Like to have one on the shelf as I’m not sure this switch will survive another “fix”.

You might try contacting smart142.  He is in London has good window switches.  His name is Glenn.,

1 person likes this