1JR1

What ODB tool do you use¿

26 posts in this topic

Looking to buy an ODB tool for my 450 Smart.

I want to:

- read / reset codes

- enable the tach

- Read / load new ECU map files

The Galletto seems to be popular but I'm not sure if I can enable the tach with it. Might be something that can only be done with a Star computer?

Thanks for all your feedback in advance.

I just purchase some software to load on a laptop from eBay it's called Advanced 2015 OBD2 Scanner scan Tool software + ECU Chiptuning Remaping for $47.00 US plus $5.00 shipping it's compatible with all car manufacture. I'll let you know how it work when I get it.

Larry

Also found I can put together a Star machine clone for around $400. Still a little steep for the few tasks I want to do. Still interested in anyone else in the lower Vancouver Island area that might want to share the cost of ownership on one.

Star machine, Scan Gauge, Galletto 1260, Even the VCDS can read generic codes

You can purchase a multiplexer and then download a VM profile that's already been setup. MHHAuto is where you can find all the information you'll need to put one together.

I bought one of Star machine full kits after doing a lot of research from various vendors. The Dell630 is understandably second hand, and seems old, and had be resprayed (painted) but is otherwise fully functional. The latest 2015.12 MB DAS/Xentry software was installed and everything seems to work OK right out of the box, which is exactly as stated.

http://www.obd365.com/wholesale/mb-sd-connect-compact-c4-star-diagnosis-plus-dell-d630.html

Cables, connectors and mux all appear to be pretty good quality, although the C4 didn’t have batteries installed (not sure you really need these anyway).

Wireless connection to the MB SD C4 seems to be intermittent – I got a few disconnects and crashes in Xentry (javaw.exe) on wireless, but on cable it has worked consistently well so far.

For people considering buying a kit like this for newer cars (e.g. New C Class), the only advice I can give is that the Xentry software on modern cars will only let you do tests – (i.e. No Adaptations or coding); everything requiring change will need Online SCN coding. It’s a great toolkit to have for diagnostics alone though.

And i had another ELM327 Bluetooth adapter which is useless.

I was also curious if anyone knew of a Star machine located on Vancouver Island?

Presumably other than the dealer?  By the way, I have found Three Point Motors to be very good with quickly diagnosing and repairing electrical issues at relatively low cost.

To answer thr thread title, a Delphi DS150E, which does engine, chassis, SRS and braking system codes.  It can also do stuff like clutch actuator alignment, although I've not used it for that myself.  About the only thing (I think) it can't do is program new parts that require TAN codes, although I'm very happy to be corrected on that if someone knows otherwise.

10 hours ago, Chopper said:

It can also do stuff like clutch actuator alignment

maybe only certain years?...i couldnt find any clutch functions in my software 

1 person likes this

I'm not 100% sure but I think SAM equipped 450s and later have the full functionality.  It's in the "clutch learning reset" menu, "learn engage/disengage point" IIRC.

Edited by Chopper

someone with decent communicative skills should make a dedicated how-to thread about the delphi 150...

it would be nice to have everything in one place listing what it can do to which smarts and of course how to activate/install the software

really cheap tool well worth the $40 to $50 

i picked up one of those kwp things mentioned above too for remaps but never got around to trying it

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

On 9/3/2015 at 1:12 AM, 1JR1 said:

Looking to buy an ODB tool for my 450 Smart.

I want to:

- read / reset codes

- enable the tach

- Read / load new ECU map files

The Galletto seems to be popular but I'm not sure if I can enable the tach with it. Might be something that can only be done with a Star computer?

Thanks for all your feedback in advance.

I have HEARD that using the wrong type can bang the kilometers up on speedo 10,000km each time its plugged in I was wondering about that too.

STAR is the best way if you want to invest the money....seriously.  Research it here as there are many threads on it and also over at Evilution....

Anyone willing to PM me their source for a STAR unit? I don't need the laptop as I have a couple CF-31 Toughbooks already. I will just need access to the hardware and then get the Xentry software.

Look at this one....all but laptop.....it looks like.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263713331372?hash=item3d668a18ac:g:NJ4AAOSwzDBbCEpW&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsO%2BWyWcr4GVgsr63pXLbPq0vxdJhkiO3LUQLzpjraVXFJV1%2FC30l5z%2F2lx%2ByUTnxVCaRswqLnovbDlvNzWJEW2ii8mpyVm9IrAHgd7BbLINIcr2nxtfo72z%2Blum08B6AIddCMDXaImgL%2BuozIHNM9IlZ19pzWT6cHGr8SSexCK5PvH4XOZQvxnWVveVypn9Zoq5YKVQP3ooh7l3S6TunvDQ5xo4f2w0D299QNBnNf9bf|tkp%3ABk9SR-6UiragYQ

The choice is yours...?   Seems very cheap imho.....?   They are showing the internals of the multi-plexer as the two boards with the large sockets at one end of each. Also the hard drive or software or whatever you wish to call it....that you install into your laptop...may not be a problem if you know your stuff regarding the magic white smoke...?   That was all I could find for sale at this pint in time without the laptop.  The full kits are far more money.  
Hope this helps.

You might want to check with Izzy (Stickman007) as he has bought several units in the last few years.  Send him a personal message he’ll be more than happy to share his opinion.

Nigel

Edited by Nigel