Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John & Angela

Removing and replacing little orange peal light thingy on side of car.

10 posts in this topic

Shoot a bit of WD-40 between the orange slice and the black grommet to free it up. Twist it counterclockwise and pull. If necessary, use a pipe wrench with the jaws lined with rubber, so you don't mar anything. Once free, unplug the cable from the back of the puck, connect it to the new light, and re-insert into the grommet.

If the grommet is rubber which I think it is, avoid WD40, it will

Melt the rubber and glue the new light in, just use dish soap and water like they use on mounting tires.

I use electrical tape. Cut a foot's length. Wrap it around the edge of the lens. Grab the tape and turn counter clock wise.Then pull out the fixture and unplug the rear.

Works like a charm.

hi

princess auto has a tool to pull the light and also has the same kind of lights identically fit for 5$

in case someone need replacement in the trailer accessories

hi

princess auto has a tool to pull the light and also has the same kind of lights identically fit for 5$

in case someone need replacement in the trailer accessories

Good morning and thanks for the reply. Would you happen to have a picture of the tool.

Thanks

No real need to buy tools for this.

If the light is being replaced anyway, even a pipe wrench or channel-lock pliers will work. WD-40 "can" be used if the remaining residue is wiped off once the old light is out. (use Fantastic or some other full strength cleaner) When the new light is about to be installed, smear a tiny bit of grease around the rubber. This will allow you to remove it easily if there is a "next time".

You can try the dish soap method, but usually, it will need to soak a bit before trying to remove the light. The electrical tape is also a good suggestion. (the tape method is what was used on mine when I replaced the original "orange peel" lights with LED's)

Old thread revival...

For my 2006 450, I bought new LED’s for side lights, since the stock (left) side light was inopertive.  Based on what i learned, it must have been inop for a long time...

Popped the old one off, and discovered it wasn’t connected to anything.  Fishing around a while and didn’t even find a plug/wire hanging back there. Used mirrors, felt around, and a cheap little boroscope light to look around, and no luck.  

Anyone know where that light lead is supposed to come from?  From a wire loom up toward the front (perhaps from the headlight wire loom?)?

Am assuming I’ll just wait till next time i need to take the front body parts off to dig in deeper and find it, but thought I’d float the question.

cheers

open up the front clip ...it has to be in there unless someone cut it off

its just takes a few minutes to remove the front clip

1 person likes this