Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smart142

charging methods?

9 posts in this topic

I'm not very familiar with the smart electric.

Is it better to run the battery down or top up every day?

Is it more expensive to slow charge on 110, or fast charge on the 220?

Everything I have read so far indicates it is best to let the battery run down to 20% or less and then charge.

As to low or high voltage charge, I honestly don't know which is better. Faster is more convenient and charging for me is about 5 hours, usually 4. Since the province offered to pay 50% of the cost, I installed the fast charger. This way I have a choice.

I

The ED has excellent battery management. The combined experience so far on this board suggests that you can charge slow, charge fast, deplete the battery, not deplete the battery, drive hard, and drive easy, and it won't negatively impact your battery.

1 person likes this

It costs the same whether you charge using 120 or 240 volts. Manual recommends that you not top up the battery unless it is below 80%. Otherwise I agree with previous post that battery appears to be very durable.

Yep. I only plug in if I'm below 80% SoC, unless I really need maximum range the next day.

110v charging will be slightly less efficient, because during charging, the water pump, and other systems are turned on.

You would likely find the difference difficult to measure.

In terms of battery management, you want to charge frequently but only if your state of charge drops below 80%. Completely draining, and repeatedly charging the top few percent are the things to avoid. But it likely matters very little. I drive in a way that is best described as abusive, and after 2 years my battery degradation is sub-percent.

But it likely matters very little. I drive in a way that is best described as abusive, and after 2 years my battery degradation is sub-percent.

+1 You and me both brother...no battery degradation, and thrashed daily for 2 years.

But it likely matters very little. I drive in a way that is best described as abusive, and after 2 years my battery degradation is sub-percent.

+1 You and me both brother...no battery degradation, and thrashed daily for 2 years.

Man, that is VERY, VERY good news to hear!!!!!

If the smarts are having this good luck, why do I read lots of horror stories for 2011 and 2012 Nissan Leaf owners?

The leafs are straight up using a cheaper battery chemistry, and don't have active battery cooling. Even then, they lose 15% capacity after 4 years... Not the end of the world...