Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jocko

Anyone have the strut clamp for removing front spings near Montreal?

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I just got some new Eibach springs for my 450 because one front and one rear spring broke. Before I run to MB to buy the strut clamp you use to remove the top nut I was wondering if anyone in or near the Montreal area has one that I can borrow? Not that spending $30+ is the end of the world but hey if its just something you use once what the heck. If anyone can help out please PM me it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

I don't know whether you will find this helpful, but somewhere in these threads is a post about using a leather belt and some vicegrips to do the job.

I have it, along with the Big Ass Wrench. I'm in Pierrefonds. I'm home (in the driveway) all day Monday and most of Tuesday. iMessage me at satguymtl at hotmail.com or WhatsApp 514-xxx-xxxx, or PM me here for my address.

Edited by Francesco
Started getting SPAM a minute after I posted my coordinates!

Looking forward to hearing about your experience with it. Your son is very keen about the smart. He likes my rims!

Yeah he thought your car looked great!

Got the struts off with only minor sweating. For others who work on old rusted cars you can forget getting the struts out without the strut clamp. Get it first then think about doing the job.

You have to get the angle right on the spring to get it on tight but after that you can crack that top nut. Even with the impact it didn't want to come off without the clamp. I did find I had 2 broken springs in the end ( one in front and one in back) and a broken top strut bearing so I had to run out and get one of those. Ended up reusing the stretch bolt and caps.

Got it all torqued down and it rides so much better with the Eibach springs. I just hope they can tough these Québec roads. :diablo:

Thanks a million to Francesco for the loan of the clamp and the Big Ass Wrench which is helpful because it is narrow between the spring coils for say a pipe wrench.