Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GRP151

Using 175/55R 15 tires for front wheels. Is it a problem?

4 posts in this topic

I am interested in using 175/55R 15 tires on the front of my 2005 450.

It currently has 145/65R 15.

I was wondering if there would be a problem with steering or handling.

I think it would look cooler than those wheel barrow wheels it came with.

Of coarse I will need wider rims.

There are no issues with running 175 on the front as long as the rear wheels are of similar circumference.

the problem with running 175 on the front of a 450 is clearance if you use the same offset wheels as the rear you have to modify the wings we used to use roadster front steel wheels on 450 s they would fit properly if it touched the wing on turning we used to fit a number plate under the front panel to push it forward.  front wheels are 3.5 inch on the early models and maybe 4.5 on later models you could fit front tyres off the 451 which are 155 60 which is same rolling radius 

my 185/55r15 rub a bit on hard turns and speed bumps ..i had to trim some front lip and it wasnt enough ...i had to also take out the 2 bolts under the grill to keep the front clip a little higher than normal (but its barely noticeable just a bit of a gap below the headlights)...i used rear 451 rims (on the front of my 450)...the rims fit nice..i wish id chose the 175/55 instead or even 165/55

i didnt notice much difference in handling after going with larger fronts..but i drive like an old fogey 

one thing i certainly notice is that wider fronts throw a ton of snow that sticks to the sills.rockers...and if you turn just right on soft snow you get a good side rooster tail

Edited by LooseLugNuts