Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Swedenborgian88

Fortwo 2006 cdi

7 posts in this topic

450 km is safe if the tank is full with 22L. If you are not sure, 400 km.

First blob on the gauge is meaningless because when it disappears totally depends upon the amount of fuel put into the car.

Does the Pope wear a funny hat?

Never had a full tank go less than 400 km, even in the worst weather or driving with the crazies on 400s with the pedal matted.

As Mike says, the first blob's distance is entirely dependent on fill. If you fill slowly to the top of the neck, expect 80 km, but with sensible driving on country roads that could be higher. Second blob is usually 40-60 km, third and fourth anywhere from 70 to 100 each, and the countdown in the last blob starts 25 to 50 km after the fourth one goes out. Last blob goes out when the countdown reaches 3.0 litres, after which you can expect it to run out quicker than your math might calculate! It is not a very linear gauge at all. I've actually run out two km from a filling station on I-89 in Vermont after it showed 2.5 litres left, just 20 km from that station. Luckily I still had roadside assistance. Car started right up and never had an issue. All this information, though, should be taken with many grains of salt, as your actual fuel economy will depend on many variables including (but not limited to) GTA traffic, weather, driving style, fuel quality and the health of your car's engine, drive train, tires, brakes, etc.

In city driving keeping up with traffic 400kms is average. 500 if you are careful.

I baby my car and try for fuel economy, I usually manage 160kms on the first blob, the tank usually lasts 600+kms, best is just shy of 800.

They can be tricky cars to fill up full too, gerry cans manage the best fillups (least amount of foam). I can typically get a few more liters with gerry cans vs filling up at a pump, adds a great deal of kms to a tank getting 3-4 more liters in.

I consistently get 500kms to a tank, but then, I don't drive it like I stole it.

When the first blob (bubble) goes out, I have had as bad as 85kms. and as good as 240 (the 240 is all highway at 100kph..no stops or traffic issues) ... If you are really worried, simply carry a 13 litre (3 gallon) jerry can will keep you safe enough to get to the nearest station, should you actually run out..

Working my way through my first tank and my mileage seems on track to barely clear 200 km. 

Thermostat is malfunctioning however so I'm guessing once I start seeing proper operating temps I'll get better mileage =S

200 km would be 10 L/100 km, that's implausibly high in a smart cdi.