Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
colinmcc

Rear, flexible window crumbled. 450 Cabriolet

8 posts in this topic

We don't normally open the rear half of our 450 Cabriolet soft top, but today did to get a big box in the back. The plastic window has been so opaque that I haven't been able to look through it for a while, but now I can since it snapped into pieces when it was folded with the cover and I could look through the hole! ;-) How do we go about getting it replaced or is there a better option? It is now filled with that Candian 'Classic', 'tuck tape' and is back to no-see-through, but it would be nice to know if there is a way or company that can replace it!

Thanks,

Colin

We don't normally open the rear half of our 450 Cabriolet soft top, but today did to get a big box in the back. The plastic window has been so opaque that I haven't been able to look through it for a while, but now I can since it snapped into pieces when it was folded with the cover! ;-) How do we go about getting it replaced or is there a better option? It is now filled with that Candian 'Classic', 'tuck tape' and is back to no-see-through, but it would be nice to know if there is a way or company that can replace it!

Thanks,

Colin

check out boating shops near you that do canvas top repairs.

plastic boat windows are very similar and they could probably remove the old window and use it as a template and sew in a replacement window

the smart car canvass roof can be removed

http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopic=26234

Francesco did a great job with instructions....

post-3908-0-63536000-1445661345_thumb.jpgHere's what I did when the same thing happened to me.

I bought a large piece of vinyl for $17, enough to make 10 rear windows.

I cut out the broken window from the outside with a box cutter and scissors. This leaves approximately a 1 inch wide frame of old windshield material on the inside of the cabriolet roof. This frame is used as a gluing surface.

I then cut an oversize window from the new vinyl material. It comes with a protective coating, front and back. Leave the coating on.

Place the new window on the inside of the car. The bottom of the new window will sit on a small shelf at the lower portion of the window frame.

With a sharp X-Acto knife or a fine marker, from the outside, mark the window outline on the protective material of the new window.. This will allow you ro remove only the protective covering that covers the outer window frame, to be used as a gluing surface, but leaves the main part of the window protected. Remove the protective coating on only the outside portion of the new window leaving the protective coating covering the main part of the new window in place.

As a glue, I then applied silicone RTV rubber sealant on the inside of the window frame and the outer unprotected portion of the new window and used a large seat cushion in the trunk to apply pressure to the window against the frame until the silicone rubber cured.

If there are 2 people available there might be a better way. Use contact cement on the old window frame and the outer unprotected portion of the new window. Let the contact cement dry until it becomes sticky. Push it against the window frame from the inside.

Apply silicone sealant around the outer portion of the window to prevent water leaks.

After the silicone has dried, remove the plastic protective coating on both the inside and outside.

The results will be close to indistinguishable from a brand new window.

At any time should it happen again, it is a simple matter to cut out and re-install a new window. The vinyl that I purchased was a little less flexible than the stock vinyl. I would suggest taking a sample of the original material to a plastics place to compare.

Edited by smartdriver

Thanks everyone! I've looked at the video, and read Francesco's post, I'm not sure how to 'order' a replacement rear part with glass cover from Germany however, I can't find any email address. Is no one in Canada doing something similar?

Edited by colinmcc

The plastic window on the '05 and '06 Cabrios don't take too kindly to being folded in the colder temperatures. I remember seeing a post about cleaning the windows that have clouded over but can't seem to find it right now. (I know, too late for you now, but for future reference)

Most places that deal with boat covers and / or convertible tops should be able to handle the problem.

Good Luck.

I'll save you the pain and trouble of the silicone job which lasted all of about 1 hour before the window blew out.

This exact thing happened to me this spring and I have done all the leg work for you. Here is the solution.

Find a boat shop that fixes plastic window and sails.They have the sewing machine you need. Watch this video and bring the back of the top to the shop. They can remove the plastic and replace it with top of the line plastic boat glass. It was the best $75 I ever spent. The boat shop dude had it ready the next day and said that it would only last 3-5 years but at that price who cares, no problem. The car may not even last that long. He recommended to make it last longer to try to keep it out of direct sunlight. The reason the cost is so high anywhere else is because they don't want to have to take off and replace the top. This video, even if its in German describes it very well. I had it off in less than an hour. If you have any questions PM me but with a few simple tools and some patients it comes off fairly easy. To put it back on just watch the video in reverse.