Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

smart 453, nosing into the Nosebear on a test drive

53 posts in this topic

Thanks for the review, and more so for the pics. I can't say I am a fan so far of the interior or the placement of certain things, and that steering wheel looks like it belongs in an arcade or toy store.

Well - as of tonight, I am driving a canada1 cdi coupe. Trying to help resolve a seemingly geometry based acceleration noise that is awful, but I digress.... I'll post that somewhere else as I try to get it sorted out.

Looking forward to seeing a 453 with a 5 speed sometime!!!

What tires do they come equipped with? My ED has Kumhos, and they're not an especially quiet tire. We had a set of Kumhos on our MINI for one season and they were the loudest tires I've ever heard.

The one I road tested also had Continental Pro Contacts. It was a loud tire.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together Mike. We won't be candidates for anything with a tail pipe but since we are considering the 453 ED as our next CDI replacement in a few years the common 453 information is nice reference material.

J and A

Stopped at the Smart Center in Scarborough this evening and test drove the Passion Coupe (even though it was a DCT and I want a 5-speed manual). I must admit it drove well, stable, felt planted, and had plenty get up and go from the 899cc turbo. The ride was European firm, but not uncomfortable and it handled well, did highway speeds before I knew it. They will have a 5-speed soon and my name is on the list to take it for a drive.

:phew:

I just noticed this morning that the colour pamphlet handed out at the test drive event has the Government of Canada FE numbers for the 453 on it. They appear to have just rubber stamped the EPA numbers. 7.5 lhk city/ 6.1 lhk highway, it should not be too hard to better those numbers in the real world.

I do not get why they published number worse than the 451. With the extra power it will certainly be possible to use more fuel but driven in a similar fashion the newer more efficient engine should use less.

Yeah what the hell. No-one is going to look at those numbers and be impressed.

But if you check out other 2016 models, all have piss poor ratings so it is meaningless, essentially.

I noted white body panels in the first image, was it possible to determine if the white was molded in or painted? When I test drove the 453 locally I asked that question and have yet to receive an answer. In 2008 I chose the yellow as it was my favorite of the non-paint colors (out of black, white, yellow). Considering the new yellow has an up-charge of $395 (US) I assume it is painted and figure only white and black in the 453 was molded. Does anyone have confirmation of that?

:puzzled:

I was in K-W last night, so I stopped by Victoria Star to see if they had a 453 to test drive. They currently have a Passion demo and a new Passion on the lot. Both equipped with the DCT but not much else, the demo has heated seats.

You can not feel when boost comes on, so they have certainly neutered the performance in the lower gears. You can still feel the car shifting but it is certainly much improved.

The only complaint I really have is the ergonomics of the new seat and it is bad enough that it will keep me from buying a new 453. In the 451 and 450 the back of my head(parietal bone) rests against the head rest and I can set the seat nearly straight upright.

The heavily padded head rest in the 453 rests lower against the occipital area and forces my head and body away from the back of the seat. The Ford Fiesta seats are similar and after 90 minutes or so, the seating position starts to put noticeable stress on my lower back.

It has been quite sometime since I was last in a Fiesta but I feel that the 453 seat is even worse.

Maybe at some future time I will acquire a used one, if a seat from a 451 or 450 can be installed in place of the factory one.

My natural sitting and standing position is quite slouched, but in 30+ years of driving I've never once used a headrest while driving, regardless of seat back angle. On the other hand, I find the new lower seat cushion abominable.

The 453 seats have so much additional concave shape that I can not sit back in the seat because of the headrest jutting into the lower back of my head. One of the downsizes of being 6' tall with a long torso. Additional padding added to the seat back could correct the issue for me I guess.

When I first got the 451 I noticed the slightly thicker headrest in it over the 450 but the 453 take it to a whole new level of excess.

Hmm, I felt the new seats were a bit more padded but I didn't find them to be any better. However this problem sounds like a show stopper for you, William! I too have a long torso.

I would go out and buy an HMV Freeway long before the Elio.

I have little interest in buying another front wheel drive car ever, so that makes the list of choices short.

Edited by Huronlad

Test drove a Ford Fiesta with the 3-cylinder turbo and 5-speed this evening and it was an OK car, but it did not feel as stable and powerful as the 453 that I drove last week. The local Smart Center is expecting a Prime model with a 5-speed that I hope to drive soon and I hope that allows me to finalize my decision. I agree with the comments above how much I enjoy the rear drive smart as compared to a front wheel drive Fiesta.