Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartzuuk

And then there was '1' again...

61 posts in this topic

Hello again!

I know I have been quiet on here for some time now. That's due in part to having sold off my 5th smart in the summer of 2014, and going (officially) smartless for the first time in about 10 years. Actually, early 2007, I had loaned my cdi for a number of months to some friends, and was without a smart then too... but when the canada1 cabrio left my underground parking last year - there were no definite plans for another smart immediately.

That being the case, I never said 'never again'! I like the smart brand!

So, there's only 4 of these canada1's in the country... three cabrio, and just one is a coupe.

I had two chances to buy the coupe in years passed - 2010 I think was the first time. And then again a few years later. Each time, I referred a friend to the car instead... kinda keeping it as an ace up my sleeve so to speak.

Well..... might as well just get to it.

The 3rd owner, David, was thinking to move it along a couple times this year, and in late October, we swapped vehicles for a few days so that I could iron out a noise he'd had trouble with for some time. (Which did turn out to be the AC lines!)

And the rest is now history!

We've swapped and made it official today and did the paperwork at the broker - I just got back in the door.

90,877 kms

Running excellent with many parts refreshed as new such as the turbo, suspension, coupe hatch shocks, front brakes, engine mounts, AC fixed, rear windows resealed, etc..... David did most of the work himself until an injury prevented him from dealing with a sloppy front engine mount.

Just needs tires!

My name is '1'... 'canada1'....

I'll go downstairs and grab a few pics.

2 people like this

Here's a few pics I just took - yes, it needs detailing!

Keep in mind, this is actually # 4 of 4 - because there were not 10 actually brought into Canada!

This is the only car that was ordered by a retail customer. (And the only one originally registered in BC.)

# 1 was MB's Autoshow car, and the # 2 and # 3 cabrio twins that Mike T and I bought had been ordered by a high end car dealership in Ontario back in the day. (and each driven LESS than 1000 kms in the three years they had them on lease.)

This was my third chance at this coupe - I couldn't strike out! :)

So, more than 11 years after ordering my first smart during the 2004 Autoshow, and more than 10 years after taking delivery of smart # 1 in January 2015.... this makes # 6, and I guess I stand to be the only person to have owned two of the canada1 cars.

Doing those oil changes for 2nd owner, Roy, when he owned it, and keeping the leather conditioned was well worth it!

I had also donated oil, filters and an extractor to David when he got it from Roy. And he kept it pretty nice when he had it, even regularly lubing the clutch actuator. Fasteddy in Richmond, BC did the servicing for the original owner. So maintenance wise - I know all of that has been kept up without fail.

It also has all new engine mounts when just the front one would have sufficed - long story - but short version - no thanks to MB Langley for the sub-standard service that resulted in wasted expense and bent AC lines and a year of David driving with noises.

Fun car! It has a few personalized add-ons from the original owner - like mudflaps, and some red markings on the Brabus heatshield. Has OEM cruise, and power steering!

Speaking of 'power steering' (old timers will know why) - I just e-mailed Dean (TFM) last night and will arrange to view some leftover parts he has. He and Xandria have moved their original two cars onwards not too long ago. Many thanks to them for getting this site up and running back in the day!

post-43-0-04236100-1446752700_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-11414400-1446752719_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-16806300-1446752735_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-35955100-1446752749_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Congrats!

Thanks Glenn! Hey, how many smarts have you owned? I am sure it's a big list!!

The canada1 will have plates on it for at least a month.

After getting rid of my Subaru Impreza near the end of the lease, I have driven a Suzuki Grand Vitara and a Honda CR-V. They are both gone now, but I also just got a 2005 Volvo V50 T5 (auto, fwd) on November 1, so that will be my main driver once I get a few suspension items addressed.

The smart will not see a lot of winter driving this year - it'll likely get parked for 3-4 months in December.

My canada1 cabrio only had approx. 25,000 kms when I sold it last year....

The canada1 coupe is actually the second highest km of all the smarts I have owned - only my first smart was higher - I sold it around 120,000 kms in 2007!

1 person likes this

Wonderful news, and this is a great car, glad you have it. See you around ;)

Welcome back to what is a rather exclusive Smart Car club..... owners of the 4 x '06 Canada1's.

I've been thinking of moving #1.

Just had it professionally appraised again.

Battery, oil and filter are the only replacement parts from new, and I still have the original battery.

Activated cruise control and had it re-mapped by Glenn.

Other than that, it's original.

Next owner 'could' restore it to absolutly new and original condition, if they wanted.

It has a little over 20,000 km on it.

I'm not fishing, just thinking.

I would appreciate knowing if there's any serious interest out there, particularly from current owners.

#1 could only go to the most committed buyer.

Edited by smartnhappy

One 1 is enough for me. I will make speaks with the CsC members I am meeting with tonight about their possible interest. Appraisals for insurance purposes aside, I think actual value of these cars is not all that high right now.

As Mike says one #1 is enough for me as well. Well two of my daughters are driving 06 fortwo's so three is enough. 47,000 kms now Keith. Cruise and remap from Eddie and those cool three spoke wheels from Mike. I had the whole car repainted and am now searching for the brabus badges for the mirror triangles.

We should plan to get the three Canada ones together for a family photo next summer.

Alan

1 person likes this

I've taken off the Brabus wheels with the totally shot rear tires.

Eibach spacers are now on the rear, along with my 135/155 skinny wheel combo... the 135 mm tires show as being made in 2010! the 453 front tires are from 2007 (on the rear with the spacers).

Gotta go get some air now, and fill up after putting in a bit of Howes.

Tomorrow is go and get an oil extractor on sale from Princess Auto as somehow the one I loaned to David got killed recently...

I've got an oil and air filter on order through my friend's shop (via Napa), and uh, well, just the basics for now.

As for coming to the island Mike - soon ok!

1 person likes this

It's pure provenance, collectibility, uniqueness, limited availability, originality, authenticity, age, condition, mileage, maintenance, usability and desirability that make cars valuable, along with colours, options and other factors I can't think of right now.

Top quality AMC Gremlins with air currently trade over $20K.... uniqueness.

'70 LS5 Chevelle convertibles are worth more the higher-powered LS6's..... limited availability (much lower production).

L88 Corvettes, '55 Chev Nomads, Shelby Cobras, etc, etc, etc. all have most of these factors, the very best offering them all.

Our cars certainly aren't in this league and aren't the most valuable, but they have the potential to offer all the factors in the future.

I don't think I'll live that long, but it's nice to dream.

Our cars might be the most significant Smart cars ever shipped to North America, along with the first '05 sold in Canada and the first '08 sold in the US. It was their first attempt at a 'special' package option, and was particularly significant due to it's failure to succeed.

Besides, it's fun to have a little recognizable sliver of Smart Canada's history.

A 2016 Canada 1 get-together on the Island is a great idea. Red-white-red. Perfect balance!

Just make sure you have some wider wheels on when you come over, Keith!

Well - I am looking at a set of trilines, but I understand there might be a damaged wheel, so that might not work immediately.

Yeah...trilines. Good idea. Damaged how? Just get a rim repair if it's a finish issue.

I could go for some 16'' BRABUS Monoblock VI wheels someday, but they are soft on the hard bumps!

So Keith, any leads on a BRABUS dual exhaust? It would be really cool to get one of those too.

Uhm...... yeah, no. No dual exhausting for me unless someone happens to have one sitting in a storage locker. Speaking of which, I do need to get to view a storage locker of smartness sometime soon.

I did get an extractor today! And some good ole 0w40!

The car drives superbly now with some actual tread on it.

Beautiful suspension with great handling (David got from Europe and installed himself.)

....I had the whole car repainted and am now searching for the brabus badges for the mirror triangles.

Alan

$20 at Eddy's: http://shop.flyingtiger.ca/index.php?p=product&id=440

Ordered from Eddie but he refunded me and said no longer available. Still on his site however.

Alan

oops not trying to hijack this thread. Congrats Keith looking forward to seeing your new ride.

Alan

Edited by Henry

Here's a few pics of the wheel set on the car right now. Honestly, I prefer this over the black wheels, but of course, I have to keep the black wheels coz they're original to the car and all that.... and they would look okay with 175/195 tires and every thing cleaned up and glossy.....

These are my hypermiler set, 135/70/15 on 3.5 inch German cdi wheels and 155/60/15 on the 4.5 inch wide 451 rims on the rear with Eibach spacers... uhm 25 or 30 mm, can't remember which, but it gets the wheels out to where they need to be and it does not look shabby....

I actually had two sets of spacers, but one set was used on my LIFTED 451 which had two sets of rear wheels on it.... that was a blast! I think those spacers were only 20mm, enough to stagger the track closer to normal proportions.

That was a cool winter! At times, I was basically the only car on the road between Hope and Prince George other than in the towns along the way. Winter tires 6-8% above standard circumference and one of those intake pipes that evilution recommended to get rid of right angles and increase perceived HP...... all this on a 2" lift!

And that car became the Impreza! Hmmm..... I dunno...... but I digress.

I've had fun with these cars and actually, and knock on wood, I've never had to do a serious repair. One clutch actuator under warranty? Uhm, I think that was it on the first car up to 120 km..... a few flats? I had a seal leak between the intake hose and the intercooler...

The 451 had glitchy transmission shifting issues that only TPM could properly fix (under warranty). So I guess I should expect this car to eventually cough something up, but David did so much on it already, it'll be awhile.

post-43-0-49401200-1446965980_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-96403300-1446965995_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-03489600-1446966014_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-29369000-1446966056_thumb.jpg

I think you need a set of BRABUS wheels in silver, that would be ideal. Is that car remapped? I have forgotten.

You should drop the SAM and have a boo at the N11-3 plug to see if it's still OK. It would be a good idea to do the 3 external relays on it.

We can do it in my garage the next time you are here.

I know, the Brabus set in Ontario would be nice to get my hands on....

I will try to see the Trilines however... maybe if they are just curbed lightly, they can be polished at a shop....

I am loathe to having five sets of wheels for one car (three already) - somehow I managed to keep the skinnies for the last couple years without them getting split up as spares for people...... which is fine by me right now!