Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartzuum

And then there was '1' again...

61 posts in this topic

If you want to, I will tell you what to buy (relays, etc...)

It sounds like a very good idea - I read through your post on it, but wiring is not my strong suit, I'd rather change tranny oil, swap tires, and change out 450 headlight bulbs blind in the dark by feel (I can) and do those simple feel good things, lol

Remap - I thought it was supposed to have a lighter version of the Brabus remap, but I am not sure that it does. On 155 rear tires, it feels like it has a remap though! It has OEM cruise, and foglights and the euro turn signal mod, oh, and a first for me, power mirrors too (in addition to power steering). I was given an iPod that fits the holder by David.... thank you! Not that I have ever used an iPod. I was hoping they would come out with a record player to fit on that really big dash on the passenger side seeing as I traded a couple guitars for 750 lps this year!

A Brabus steering wheel would be kinda cool? And a two tone horn. I am trying to think of a few things Fasteddy has that I have never had in any of the five cdi's - a power sunroof would be kinda cool, but uh, not as a retrofit project!!

Mike - can you maybe post the original build sheet for the coupe? What did it begin it's life as? It's actually registered as grey! Which I forgot to have them deal with when we transferred.... a small detail that got overlooked for the last 8 or 9 years.... I will make a note to have that done soon at the place I always go to in Abbotsford - they know me as the smart car guy! It really should show as red.

I will have to request a letter of authenticity - I do not think it ever had one. It's not in any paperwork I have. I have the original manuals/books. Oh - and a cool Brabus sign!

CD changer or subwoofer? I think I should have a choice of both. I have a NIB changer, and I think Roy (2nd owner) still has the sub-woofer somewhere. Or maybe he gave it to me. I dunno! I'll sort this out too, eventually.

It's good to have an ipod for that holder, I have one as well, an ipod video that is/was Sandy's, which could probably hold 100,000 songs....

So for the wiring, get from Lordco or similar:

- three Hella 30A four prong relays

- 1 inline 30A fuse holder, indoor type (does not need waterproof cap)

- 1 metre of corrugated plastic wire sheathing in the smallest available diameter (the stuff that harnesses on modern cars go inside)

- 12 female wiring connectors for the relays

- one or two round eyelet wiring connectors (for the relay ground wire(s)

- about 80 cm of 16 gauge wiring in any colour other than black

- about 20-25 cm length of radio strapping (soft steel band with holes in it like Meccano)

Total cost should be about $35-40.

The other item David mentioned was to look at the engine ground wires and renew them... have to look at evilution. As you say, it's time to get serious about keeping the gremlins away as the cars are getting close to 10 years old regardless of the kms.

Looking at your latest pictures.

It that a crack and/or paint blistering on the lower left rear fender ??

Just asking because I saw this happening on 2 cars here in Ontario.

(btw.... I gotta get a better monitor)

It has been raining here, that looks like a chunk of leaf and dirt/road spray to me.

Yeah, it's just really in need of a good wash, which I will do once I check the forecast. These panels do not seem to be prone to chipping like the cabrio's panels were as an aside, athough it has lived outside in the Vancouver climate.

Well, time for a quick update. The canada1 coupe for some proper Conti 175/195 tires this spring. I am still under 100,000kms, and have not much other news to report. It was plated all winter and gets driven almost every week. My Volvo V50 T5 sees a bit more action these days, but only because I usually need the room.

1 person likes this

Welcome back Keith! Don't be a stranger!

I will try to be back from time to time.....

red pxl!

1 person likes this

And then there were 'two' again, but not for long!

The canada1 coupe is destined to go to a new home in Edmonton on June 15th

In the meantime, I began looking for a fixer upper cabriolet, pulse or passion.

And it didn't take long - as today I registered a 2005 passion cabriolet in my name after buying it in Hope, BC.

Turns out the car was owned by Lisa Powell, who sold many cars back in the bay from MB Broadway! So, I got a hold of her mom tonight who I am still in contact with and shared some pics etc.... hopefully will get a couple in return.

(Her mom does travel stuff, and was of great help on my cross-country 100 MPG Challenge in 2005 when I took my first (of 7) smarts across the country to Cape Spear and return! Her mom also owned a couple smarts over the years!

It needs a lot of work - hopefully the engine is salvageable. But it is pretty much all original and will clean up nicely. 195,000 kms. Black tridion, black panels, clock/tach, no paddles, does have the sound upgrade, heated seats, AC of course... not leather!  Comes with two keys, the original manuals and radio codes and block heater cable. Cabriolet top opens and closes without issue. It's a no start, and could be many things still to be confirmed exactly what. 

It has seen a lot of highway driving from the most recent owners, but they parked it a year and a bit ago. So we'll see what happens.... can't go too wrong at $1000

1 person likes this

Those front wheels are SOOOOOOOO bad........ LOL, and the rotors look sunburnt too!

Looks good, hope the rear window is a cheap fix.

Apparently the car arrived in Halifax June 6, 2005, so 13 years ago, and 1 day..... how ominous, lol

Yes, a couple small holes in the rear window.

Hopefully the engine is not needing full on replacement! :) It'll need an intercooler and a turbo more than likely. There is a timing chain present still, lol. 

This car would be an interesting candidate for silver panels and a black Brabus spoiler!

But first things first.... Will get it home on Saturday or Sunday and start looking into it within a couple weeks after that.

Are the front wheels corroded or scratched?  Or just dirty?  Still got the spikelines?

The front wheels look to be very baked on - they will likely clean up 'ok' but have some residual dirt, or corrosion more likely... good enough for a runabout hopefully! 

No damage that I noted in a quick walk around except a missing antenna and one front side marker light I think. I have spare letters for the rear (an 'f' is missing) - all the raised letters that were on my first smart. Oh, but wait, there's no 'fortwo' is there... well... I can get a decal sometime if need be.

I don't have the old crossblade wheels, nope, they went to Ontario for a reasonable price ($800 if I recall, plus shipping)

broke even on them anyway....

I didn't really like the smart with 16", although I cannot recall if Dean's locker is empty yet, or not. If not, trilines?? One damaged though. I think though someone got all the stuff they had.

I have my very skinny hyper-miler set and one set of spacers in storage. and like 14 full size wheel covers, from car2go take offs!! haha

And this car came with summer tires loose, which have 6-7 mm on the rear (one side slightly lower naturally), so lots of life left. And I can burn off the winters that are on the wheels now as well, so no need for tires probably ever!

Izzy also just spotted the extra box above the battery, so this car has power steering !!

First thing I would do is to check to see if the alternator is seized.

Good luck!!!

Nice find. a little simple green and a plastic scrub brush on the rims should clean them up nicely.

I dunno... after a while, brake dust etches the powder coat. It might be worth it to have them blasted and re-coated. Or it might not.

That Canada1 was so tempting!

I miss my little cdi, and with Car2go pulling up stakes here in Toronto, it would be great to have a little runabout. But I know the cdi doesn't like to sit around, and they're getting very expensive and finicky to maintain in their old(er) age. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, darren said:

they're getting very expensive and finicky to maintain in their old(er) age. 

How true that is!!! 

2 hours ago, darren said:

....................they're getting very expensive and finicky to maintain in their old(er) age. 

1 hour ago, smart142 said:

How true that is!!! 

That's why I call "Sally" my Mistress.............I just keep throwing cash at her and she keeps me "Happy"

2 people like this

Leaving in 20 mins to trailer the cabriolet back to Abbotsford, did a test load with the canada1 and had an oopsie, so we know how to load the one already broken without breaking it more.... :o