Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Commander Cody

Smart to the USA at the Geneva Auto Show?

6 posts in this topic

An article in AutoWeek mentions that we may hear our fate at the Geneva Auto Show. Will they or will they not announce whether the USA gets the Smart. One month to go...March 2 is when the show begins. They could delay again as has happened in the past but maybe this time around we'll get a definite yea or nay. Smart will be in the show according to the auto show website. Keep your eyes peeled/crossed/whatever! If the announcement is made my feeling is we get 'em.

Cmdr. Cody

Are there still plans afoot for bringing an EPA and FMVSA approved Smart SUV or forfour to the US market?

No matter, either would be petrol powered. Don't expect to see a fortwo for sale down here.

"Yeah, Ah'm a 'murrican. Ah'm a-waitin' fer a Smart Hummer so's Ah kin tow mah bass boat down t' th' crick."

Yeah I would say that's got to be when the announcement is made....the next fortwo will be in production by the beginning of January 2007 and so US market entry would be as little as 13 months away....from now. 12 months by the time the Salon de Gen?ve happens.

In Canada the announcement was in February and the first car was sold on September 23rd...things were shall we say a little tight so far as training and readiness were concerned. So a 12 month time line sounds better.

The "smart" SUV project is dead and buried, long live smart! I too hope that the nextgen fortwo is sold in the US, making 30,000+ sales per year. That alone could seal the fate of smart as a going concern, for the better (or worse, if the decision is "no").

Back in April '05 on the DaimlerChrysler website discussing the new business model for Smart said the "new product concept callls for the intensified develolpment of the successor to the smart fortwo, including fulfilling the requirements for the U. S. market." Furthermore on 1/10/06 we read on MSNBC online that "DaimlerChrysler Chief Executive Dieter Zetsche told Reuters Television its Smart group will likely launch a two-seat version of the Smart minicar in the U.S. market next year."

Cmdr. Cody

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God

Cody,

Please realize that I meant absolutely nothing direspectful with my quote in my prior post. I don't know if the change of your signature is in response to any perceived slight you may feel I have comitted against you. My written attempt at emulating a spoken drawl is based on my realization that that is how many in the world community would stereotype us and how I feel they would attempt to immitate speaking 'like an American'.

I am as equally proud of considering myself a northern Yankee liberal as you apparently are of your heritage. If you feel my fabricated quote is offensive I willing to change it to:

"A'yup, I'm'n Amercahn. But I requah a lahge-a cah than a Smaht to trailah m' Bahstin Whalah down t' Cape Caad so I cahn catch m' labstahs fah dinnah."

Lug Nut - no prob. And I do own a 17-ft Boston Whaler. A Montauk I believe. I guess it would be fine for getting lobsters but she has too much draft to get shrimp in a shallow creek.

Cmdr. Cody

Smart-less in the Carolinas