Followers 0
smart142

60 percent of 2015 car crash fatalities were not wearing seat belts

12 posts in this topic

By Parrish Alleman

December 11, 2015,

WIAT.com

Alabama

When first responders are called to an accident, they rush out and they are ready to help. The worst calls are when there’s nothing they can do.

“I’ve got to tell that family and to me that’s the worst part of the job and I can remember nearly every one of them,” Alabama State Trooper Chuck Daniel said.

“You try not to take it home with you but you know some of the stuff we see it’s going to affect a normal person. There’s nothing you can do,” Lt. Ryan Farrell with the Vestavia Hills Fire Department said.

Trooper Chuck Daniel says right now in Alabama, there’s an average of 88 crashes a day. One in 60 of those is fatal.

Trooper Daniel says there’s an easy and proven way to cut down on the number of people who die in car crashes.

“Wear your seat belt,” Trooper Daniel said.

If that sounds like a no brainer, think about this: according to state troopers 14 people died in car crashes in Alabama this month. 403 have died in crashes where seat belts were available so far this year. 60 percent of those were not wearing their seat belt.

“I’ve been to accidents similar to fatalities where the patient opened the door and walked out because they had that seat belt on,” Lt. Farrell said.

“I cannot stress that enough in my career as a trooper and in law enforcement the majority of the fatalities I worked didn’t have a seat belt on,” Trooper Daniel said.

http://wiat.com/2015/12/11/60-percent-of-2015-car-crash-fatalities-were-not-wearing-seat-belts/

When I worked for BC Tel back in the 70's, we were "strongly encouraged"

to wear seat belts and drive, with the headlights on during the day.

Hard to believe that people are still stupid enough not to wear their seatbelts.

Probably the same demographic that doesn't wear bike helmets... :no:

In the motorcycle world, there is a well known study which outlines the percentages of a bunch of common risk factors. A certain rather large percentage of fatalities were not wearing a helmet, another certain fairly large percentage didn't have a valid license, another certain unfortunately large percentage were legally intoxicated, another rather large percentage had never taken a proper training course. These percentages of those factors alone add up to considerably more than 100%, which means a not insignificant number had more than one factor (i.e. they were drunk, and not wearing a helmet, and had never taken a course, and didn't have a proper license, all at the same time).

There is a population who know what the main risk factors are and avoid them and have few problems, and another population who don't give a crap and have lots of problems.

My experience after working on the front line in a busy ER/Trauma centre for 33 years is that safety belts are a life saver!

I remember one case - 5 young males in a rollover (too much speed and alcohol) 2 in the front belted, 2 in the back belted and the one in the back who wasn't belted got ejected and died. The belted passengers had only scrapes and bruises.

We always knew when someone wasn't belted, especially when they were in the front seat., the head hitting the windshield made a nice mess.

"Ejected from vehicle" almost always means "no seat belts".

All the airbags in the world won't save someone who has been forcibly ejected from the vehicle via the (now-broken) side window.

duhhh.....

Road & Track ''Car crashes are still extremely deadly-32,719 Americans died in car accidents in 2013, or almost 90 people a day.''

I agree that seat belts reduce the incidence of fatalities, but people get hung up on statistics and don't consider all the facts. 32,719 seems like a lot, but it's less than the number of Americans that die each year as a direct cause of NSAID (Tylenol, Advil, Alieve) usage as used properly and prescribed by a physician. Where are all the headlines and activists for this issue?

Not to mention the number who die of lifestyle-associated illnesses....

And on it goes....

It's not worth the tickets at the very least. My sister has been tagged so many times it's ridiculous. I just put it on without thinking - like a reflex.