Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

My niece is buying a forfour

9 posts in this topic

She is located in England. I will post some photos and her impressions once she gets it!

My sister in law - Mum of the niece - also in England, would have bought a Nosebear fortwo in the middle of last year, had the 89 HP turbo at that time been available with the automatic. But it wasn't, so she got a Fiat 500 automatic. And now Julia T. is making noises about maybe getting a new Nosebear....hmmm.....

I admit that I'm infatuated with the funky new interior on the top Pwhatever trim, the white/blue one. There were just two coupes at the Salon d'auto internationale de Montreal this week, a base twinamic and the loaded white/blue with paddles. I still hate the front end, but it does look more up-market than the 451. The Cd of the wide, flat-nosed 453 must be horrible, worse than the two skinnier generations. I was hoping there'd be a cabrio on show, but for 25-odd years now MIAS has been run concurrently with NAIAS (Detroit) so we get very few launches or latest models.

The only car that I really wanted to like, but that underwhelmed me, was the upcoming Golf Sportwagen All-Track (a Golf wagon with 4Motion and a somewhat raised stance in the Audi AllRoad vein). The one they had here was a DSG base model with a few options, but the Sportwagen is at least one generation behind the hatch and it shows. It is small on the inside and difficult to enter and exit, front and rear. Like the Mk5/6 Golfs and Jettas, rear leg and hip room is almost a joke. The front seats are narrow and flat, and no amount of adjustment made me feel as comfy as in my old Mk4 Golf (or the 450 for that matter).

Francesco, the new Sportwagen is also built on the MkVII platform, so I'm not sure how it could be a generation behind the hatch. That was true of the last Sportwagen, which was a MkV with a MkVI face, but the one on sale now is all new.

That may explain it then. The old one was a stretched version. The MQB is probably unchanged from the hatchback. It is simply too cramped for the price; the Subaru Crosstrek XV (an "all road" Impreza hatch) is a much more attractive car with a roomier back seat. I'm not tall and the Sportwagon fails the me-behind-me test miserably.

That said, I'd still love a three-door Golf GTD but I'm not holding my breath.