Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zky

Long distance travel

18 posts in this topic

Hi from Mississauga,

I got my red and silver smart about 18 months ago. Of the 23000 kms so far approximately 14000 kms have been on trips west. Last summer we went to Saskatoon, the year before was to Thunder Bay. Love the car and would go anywhere with it (at 4.2 like per 100 kms). I do my own oil changes, so far no other maintenance required.

So far it's been more fun to travel with than the Harley I sold to get the smart. I carry more and weather doesn't slow me down.

1 person likes this

Great! Welcome, and I am going to guess that you have a diesel.

Welcome to the club!

I'm currently planning a trip to Miami with a diesel smart I just resuscitated. I love long trips with the cdi!

I have a "14" Pure with the Canadian pkg. The low fuel consumption comes from gentle acceleration, sticking to the posted speed limits, and taking the northern route to skip the hills of the Superior coast. At least till Nipigon. On my last trip I gassed up just north of Toronto then got my next fillup in Timmins cause I was not sure I could make it to Kap.

4.2 is really great for a gasser. Pity they use premium!

:welcome: to the club!

I often refer to my smart as my 4-wheeled motorcycle. Outside weather doesn't bother me anymore, even though I used my old Gold Wing in all types of weather. Being dry and warm is so much better, isn't it?

Have taken my '05 and '06 diesel Smarts from southern Ontario to Vancouver Island and back, logging over 10,000 km on both trips.

First half of the '05 trip was prior to remapping, so Ontario's hills, prairie headwinds and the mountains were quite challenging.

Easily cleared 70+ mpg on both trips with no attempts at economy. But that's diesels for you.

Loved both trips and would go again in a heartbeat.

Long distance driving is very pleasant and comfortable in these little cars.

I've always had confidence in any and all traffic situations and yes, dryer and warmer too.

Yes, warmer and dryer. I've done the BC trip by bike. On the return I got into rain from Kimberly BC to Thunder Bay (3) days. Can't beat the vis trough the mountains on a bike though. Still I prefer the smart.

How is it going through the mountains?

How about long gravel roads? I'm planning on a trip to the Yukon next.

Mountains were no problem for my diesels, particularly after the first was re-mapped.

You should have no trouble with your '14 gasser.

Don't sacrifice safety in an effort to achieve the best mileage, particularly through the mountains.

Just think about your driving, and remember you don't have the power to pass anything anytime, anywhere.

Take your time, drive sensibly and enjoy the trip.

I've had my '05 on lots of dirt and gravel roads, but nothing at high speeds.

Above rules still apply and always remember stability, because both the track and the tires aren't that wide.

There's at least one Smart owner up in the Yukon.

PM him for his impressions and advice.

Good luck, be safe and have fun. Wish I was going with you.

I've driven many miles (kms) of gravel roads over the years including crossing Iceland on the Springsandular (sp) road. My question is to how well the smart stands up to hours of shaking on gravel?

I've driven a 40hp 61 VW beatle many miles on gravel and old logging roads. The ground clearence and suspension could take it but the engine would require re-tightening the starter, carb and fan shrowd about every 50 miles. The smart dosen't lend itself to that kind of roadside maintenance. Just wondering if anyone has experience with long drives on gravel in the smart?

Contact 'Yukoner'. He lives in Whitehorse and has been a club member for over 10 years.

I'm sure if anyone has stories about Smarts on long, bad roads, it would be him.

If anyone else has had bits of their cars get loose or fall off due to bad roads, other than potholes, please chime in.

Drove from Williams Lake BC to Toronto a couple years ago with my smart. It was a blast! The only complain I had was the lack of cruise control. Costed ~$380 returned trip.

I did Toronto-Vancouver in February 2010 via I-90 and 94 and it was fine aside from the lack of cruise control. That's now rectified.

I noticed several people say they take the us route. Whats the advantage?

I've been taking hwy 11 or 17. At least to Winnipeg its shorter and less traffic.

It's safer, especially in winter. Freeway all the way.

U.S. routes are also 'different'.
I've taken the Canadian route more times than I can count.
Sarnia, up thru Michigan to Wisconsin, south of Lake Superior to Minnesota, thru North Dakota, across northern Montana to Idaho and up into lower central BC is a nice route. Lots of freeway but also small towns and different scenery. You can get sick of trees in northern Ontario if you drive it regularly.
Mike's route went south of Lake Michigan and almost straight across to Washington state, a route further south than mine.
I'd love to do Route 66 from Chicago, thru Vegas to the west coast, then up to BC. I'd even return thru Canada.
There's lots more routes and options thru the U.S., separate Canadian routes to either Edmonton or Calgary branching from Portage la Prairie as well as several different ways to traverse BC's various mountain ranges.
I always find that the most boring part of any long drive is the beginning.
That's because the more miles (or kilometers) I log, the more 'different' things begin to look.
They say half the fun is getting there. In a Smart, it's way more than half.
...... thus endeth the commercial. :)

1 person likes this