GRP151

Key Fob repair

59 posts in this topic

why would you pick some obscure site like Mega when you could have used one of the more common ones like dropbox or google drive?

because i trust Kim Dotcom more than Bill Gates

btw ..as a side note..only reason i didnt post links in main forum was because i wasnt sure what this sites policy is for cracked programs

its bad manners to repost private messages

I'm looking for a couple of key fob cases with blades for my CDI 450. My cases are beat up but the electronics are fine. I know there are numerous previous posts for different on-line sources and opinions about quality. Has anyone recently acquired any that were decent quality and shipped to Canada? If so, from where? Or, if someone has acquired some and will sell 2, please let me know.   

Posted (edited) · Report post

key with case is available cheap on ebay and aliexpress

look for the one piece type with rubberized buttons and not the type with loose buttons

the ones with internal electronics are cheap too but im still waiting for mine to arrive

with chip less than $20

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Okeytech-3-Button-Remote-Car-Key-For-Mercedes-Benz-Key-Smart-Fortwo-450-Forfour-Roadster-Chiave/32836223853.html?

without chip

just over $1 today with 41 cents shipping

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Stenzhorn-3-4-Buttons-Car-Remote-Key-shell-Fob-For-SMART-Fortwo-key-shell-For-Mercedes/32841526897.html?

i cant find the exact link to the fobs i bought years ago ...they arent listed in my ebay history anymore but looked exactly like the ones without chip above (but i paid a lot more)

Edited by LooseLugNuts

Posted (edited) · Report post

cant edit 

i do realize the one with chip has conflicting info in the description....but for that price it better come with the board..i think they just copy pasted info from somewhere else 

ill know for sure once i get it..i ordered one last week

Edited by LooseLugNuts

Followup on the fob saga: I received the two fobs I ordered about Feb. 1, so slow, but within the shipping window they stated (albeit a BIG window . . . ) Two fobs with blades for $60 CAD, took the car to Price's in Victoria, and yes, he programmed the two new ones, plus the one old one that was still working, for about another $60 CAD. That's a lot less than $300 for one fob from the dealer, PLUS programming cost. One minor wrinkle was that I used one of the new key blades to open the non-functioning fob to take the battery out, and put a kink in it. Yes, it was a dumb thing to do, but maybe be careful with these things - the metal may be poor. It was easy to put the circuit board from the damaged new fob into the non-functioning old fob so we still have three usable fobs now. So thanks to the forum for sharing information!

Probably a brass blade.  Some are steel and some are brass.  Brass is easier to cut but less strong.  Do not use brass blade key to open the wee front service hatches.

2 hours ago, tolsen said:

Probably a brass blade.  Some are steel and some are brass.  Brass is easier to cut but less strong.  Do not use brass blade key to open the wee front service hatches.

Good point. With that said, I'd be concerned about using the brass ones in the ignition.