MikeT

Cycling 2016

40 posts in this topic

I got on the bike for the first time in two months today and did a 52.25 km ride. It was fine, though slow and it was a little cold, plus 7C and sunny.

Here's hoping for a good year on the saddle!

1 person likes this

Sadly, I'm still a few months away from any outdoor rides, but I did clock 3450 km in 2015. The last ride being December 18 — very unusual for this part of Canada. Thanks, El Niño!

Working from home is wonderful, except that I don't have a commute that would help pad my milage stats.

I wish I had the space to keep another bike. I'd love to get a cyclocross beater that could be used in the off-season (or whenever taking the Madone out is foolhardy), not needing to care about rain or slush or salt or grit. Instead, I opt to suffer on an indoor trainer while watching POV videos of cyclists climbing Alpe d'Huez or Mont Ventoux.

Edited by DangerDan
1 person likes this

Yeah I hope to improve on last year's total of 4600, but as always it will be dependent upon weather etc.

I have got two more rides in so the total is nearly 160 km for 2016. I rode today to work and back, and it was 0C on the ride in.

I got the worst news this morning. My friend of 37 years and bike riding partner in the past 5 years of Granfondos died. His name was Bruce Fraser, he was a great friend who I met in college. We and one other friend named Christy went on an epic tour of Europe in a new Renault 5 back in 1980 and we have been close ever since. He died suddenly of natural causes according to his family, which is a huge shock at age 55.

24993562129_d3b8793464_o.jpg

L to R: Sean Tippett, Mike Tippett, Bruce Fraser

I will continue my riding as before, but there will always be something missing when I am on the road, or not. Rest in peace my friend.

It's always a shock.....my condolences.

My 66 year old brother in law is fighting cancer as we speak - not looking good.

Total km on the year is up to 675. I expect to be over 1000 km before the end of April!

I just did 88 km and so the total goes up to 850 km for 2016.

The ride home from work yesterday was quite good: I was on the ancient Raleigh which has no top end due to a 15 being the smallest sprocket, but working with a woman from the office on the road on her tri bike, we managed to average 30.6 km/h on the way home. Total km rose to a bit over 900.

After 6600 km, the third chain on the bike was worn to the 0.75 mm level so I changed it. This one was an Ultegra; the previous one was a Dura Ace and it didn't last long due to my using gear combinations that were hard on it...so it lasted 3000 km. Then, with the new (3rd) chain in 14,000 km, the cluster was making the chain skip, so I had to replace it too. I have two new ones at home, one 11-25 and one 11-28, so I used the latter, which is what I have on the bike now. The 25 is a flat land cluster!

The total km to date is 1219, so it has been a good start. Maybe I have another chance to hit 5000 km. I missed it by 400 km in 2015.

Today was a banner day for average speed to and from the office (26.5 km each way): 31.5 km/h in the morning and 31.8 km/h on the ride home in the afternoon. I was riding with a partner, which helps for sure.

Total km distance the year is at 1556 km.

Pulled the bikes out of the dungeon and dropped them off to the shop for their yearly maintenance, should start commuting again starting Monday, side note I'm way way way out of shape.

1 person likes this

Well things should better. Think like Eddy Merckx!

Good work! I was off the bike for two weeks for a California trip but today I rode again.

Thanks, keeping logs now and will be reporting in monthly. Been eating allot of midges which wasn't so pleasent. . thank you spring

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just finished swapping out my steel frame and fork for a titanium frame and carbon fork! Two pounds plus lighter

and, the shock absorption is phenomenal! This has kindled the old fire in me and I've ridden 115 km's so far this week.

Not bad for an old fat guy... :lol2:

Edited by lebikerboy
2 people like this

I hit 2000 km for the year yesterday. And the ride into work was quick, 31.4 km/h.

1 person likes this

We've had an unseasonably cold and rainy spring here in SW QC. I've managed a mere 1200 km so far this year. 250 km of that was just in the last week!

Luckily, the weather's looking more promising going into summer. Overtraining, here I come!

I had been crappy recently here too. 2250 km is the total. Granfondo Axel Merckx is in 3 weeks.

The Granfondo on July 10th was quite OK, but at 6 AM on the day of the race, it seemed as though it would be difficult on two counts: firstly I was without my old friend Bruce, with whom I had done six other events, and also because I felt like I was about to get the 'flu on Saturday afternoon, really bad sinuses and not sleeping properly for a few days including the night before the ride.

But the weather cooperated (25C) and the threatened rain showers didn't happen, so riding conditions were ideal. Not having a riding partner to share team duties breaking the wind - as opposed to breaking wind, which does happen occasionally - made me search for mini-pelotons to latch onto and I made progress with a few of those, even taking a pull or two at the front. But in some other spots, particularly after the hills where the younger riders and those who weigh less than me (nearly everyone) left me for dead, I was on my own for ten km at a time and the speed suffered. Had Bruce been here still we would probably have averaged 5 km/h better, sharing duties.

So in the end I seemed to overcome the sinus issues at least enough to do a reasonable job, and managed the 162 km in 6 hours 52 minutes and 1 second.

Total for the year is just shy of 2700 km.

I am at about 1400 km so far this year on my 22 year old GT Corrado..... the chain is going - doesn't seem to be out in overall length doing the 12 inch check, but I have lost one roller bushing in the last couple days, and I have a number of teeth worn on various sprockets..... so, it may be time to just grab a new cassette, 3 gears for the front, and a new chain and renew it all at once..... I know a guy that can assist at least. It's that or pay up.... I think I have only 6000-7000 kms on the bike in total.... 2600 in the last year and 3 months, and the rest over the previous 20 years or so...... it sat a long time on my deck, out of the rain, but it sat!!!

1600 km for me so far. The weather's improved remarkably, and today's torrential rains gave me a forced rest day.

Yesterday was a scorcher, 33°C with a humidex of 43°C. I must've lost 10 lbs in sweat.

Meanwhile, here in Ontario ...........

The first picture is for the beer lovers.

A good friend and neighbour (2nd and 3rd pictures with white hat) completed the 150 km. to support MS research. Her daughter (black hat)) joined her on the ride. They were also competitors on the Amazing Race as a mother/daughter team. GO GIRLS!

post-7529-0-49636100-1469452946_thumb.jp

post-7529-0-09070000-1469463107_thumb.jp

post-7529-0-57407000-1469463128_thumb.jp

1 person likes this