MikeT

Cycling 2016

40 posts in this topic

Nearly at 3200 km now. Next ride should be next weekend, riding up Cypress Bowl in West Vancouver. I cannot ride to work this week....

At 2200 km here. Was out riding laps last weekend on the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve with some old high school friends, one of which was riding a Cervélo TT bike. We swapped rides for a lap which was fun, as I'd never tried a TT bike before.

I hear that they're a bit uncompromising to ride. Comments?

I'm about 1900 now - the last month has been pretty good for getting the kms on with very few days missed, and many days at 25-30 kms total....

I haven't ridden a Cervelo TT but have, ridden a Specialized

albeit for only a few kilometers. A TT bike is definitely heavier

and the aerodynamic positioning felt terrible to me. Of course this

is coming from someone who rides a flat bar road bike... :hmm:

It's certainly very different from a standard road bike. Felt a bit twitchy at first, since the positioning is more mass-forward, with your arse just supported by the nose of the saddle. Transitioning from the side bars to the aerobars took some getting used to (especially while leaving the security of the brake levers behind), but I'm sure I would have been much more confident after a few more laps. Still, it's not a comfortable position for longer rides, and climbing anything longer than a highway overpass would be terrible. I can see why the pros often swap bikes in the middle of a time-trial if the terrain changes from flat to hilly.

While not comfy, the aero position is noticeably faster. I was able to hit 55 kph on the flat straightaway without too much effort. My personal best on that stretch with my regular bike (and a generous tailwind) is 64 kph.

1 person likes this

Oh man was it hot today on the 78 km ride!

28497508664_be5386d63a_b.jpg

The lowest figure on the bike computer is 42C as in 42 degrees Centigrade! That was taken on a 7% uphill section on the Nanaimo bypass. For most of the ride it was a more reasonable 38C!

Total for the season now is 3503 km.

I hit 4000 km for 2016 yesterday.  I will ride a couple more times before leaving for a two week car trip to California in the smart (no bikes!).  We'll see what the weather is like come late October.

I'm getting nearer to 2,500km, which is the 2016 goal... I could potential y break it by 10% or more if the weather holds up.

At 3100 km now.

Today might've been the last day over 20°C for 2016 in this part of the country. It'll be all arm- and leg-warmers now until the snow hits!

We had snow earlier today, and while it wasn't the first of the season, it looks like this batch is sticking around... with a smattering more forecast for later in the week. 

It's time to dust-off the trainer and hang-up the helmet until 2017. 

Not a bad year though: 3500 km total. Lots of great rides, many with good friends exploring new places. Life could be worse!

Good work Dan.

4150 km here.  Last ride was October 4 before we drove the smart to the Desert Trip concerts.

I bought a bike this spring (Trek Verve 3), and thought I did pretty good for a "newb" at 1000 km.  I guess that's nothing!  Well done Mike!

There are fantastic trails in Kitchener-Waterloo and the main purpose of my cycling is to keep tabs on Light Rail construction.

1 person likes this

You got it!  

I haven't even been on the trainer (or the bike, since October 4th) due to a holiday at Desert Trip in Mid-October and then disassembling my Peugeot, which is now stripped to the bare shell and at the restoration shop.