Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CANMAN

Are "warts" required by law?

19 posts in this topic

Last year I purchased a cabriolet as a winter project. The previous owner had all the panels replaced by Glenn. The replacement panels originally supplied by Ianjay, are colour matched factory originals but they do not have the "warts" on them ( the plastic housing with the side marker light ).

Is it legally required to have the warts ( side marker light )?

Canman

By Transport Canada, yes. Would an OPP officer write a violation ticket if they're not on the car? Highly unlikely.

If I sell the car to someone could there be any issues or liabilities?

I didn't install the panels, Glenn did.

But knowing that they should have warts and not rectifying the problem?

Canman

I wouldn't worry either, but TC requires reflective side marker lamps front and rear. The LED "orange slices" many of us put on the front fenders in place of the school bus markers aren't technically legal. Similarly, putting just a reflector or just a lamp in the holes left behind when removing the rear "pods" (photon torpedo tubes, warts, whatever) isn't legal. Smart's Halifax kludges to meet TC requirements are ugly, but at least they didn't put the rear markers in the tridion like the G&K grey market 450s had in the States. If legality really concerns you, there are a few sets of warts floating about in Canada. I will gladly sell you mine, though they will need refinishing. Alternatively, you could get a set of front and rear markers from a FIAT Chrysler dealership parts counter and fab up a way to make them work. It's a much neater solution. Last time I checked, FCA wanted $500 for a set. By now there should be quite a few available at wreckers and on eBay.

Assuming Glenn is not a Certified Automotive Tech, then chances are no liability can be held against him because Gov can't prove he knows better. The car could fail a safety inspection for the reflectors & Lights missing (if inspector knew they were missing). Chances are no one will be in trouble or liable if something happens, because no one will likely notice. That being said, if it is noticed then the liability falls on the registered owner of the car.

""Assuming Glenn is not a Certified Automotive Tech, then chances are no liability can be held against him because Gov can't prove he knows better.""

Oh ya !!

Glenn knows more about Smart cars than the rest of us know about quantum physics. (what??)

I'd trust my warts to him any day..... and my side markers. :)

Long live the Glenn.

1 person likes this

Glenn knows more about Smart cars than the rest of us know about quantum physics. (what??)

I wasn't meaning to take away from his knowledge of smart cars, that is indisputable. I was simply trying to say that he isn't a "licensed mechanic" properly known as a Certified Automotive Tech therefore has no legal responsibility for his work.

Example: If I do your brakes and screw up I'm liable because I'm certified, if Glenn does the car owner assumes the liability because they can't go after someone uncertified.

Basically I've got 36 weeks of school and 4 years on the job training and passed an exam that gives people the right to sue me.

Edited by Bessy

""I wasn't meaning to take away from his knowledge of Smart cars, that's indisputable.""

Bessy, I know you didn't mean anything by it. It was just such a great opportunity to stick it to Glenn, I couldn't resist. :)

He'll understand. We go back a ways.

You shouldn't have any problems from what I ran into over the years I commonly have wide body's, shaved bodies and euro bodies on my cars and have yet to run into a problem. If its clean and looks stock they shouldn't ask questions heck they don't know where the engine is half the time. . . if there's nothing in the hole or its unfinished it may raise questions :thumbup:

Just sell it "as is" if your that worried.

I got rid of my warts back in 2006 when i brought back new fenders from Europe.. I did install 3 LEDs in the small gap just above the fender, under the rear lights, on the side. They are visible only from the side as rear side markers. you wouldn't even know they were there during the day.-

I got rid of my warts back in 2006 when i brought back new fenders from Europe.. I did install 3 LEDs in the small gap just above the fender, under the rear lights, on the side. They are visible only from the side as rear side markers. you wouldn't even know they were there during the day.-

Would love to see how it looks! (HATE the warts)

11866445_10153456554502254_2479638951148

I filled the mounting holes and installed LED marker light in place of the big hole drilled for the wiring for the "warts".

Those aren't Hello Yellow, looks like paint to me.