Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John & Angela

If buying a used Smart ED how can you tell if the battery owned by Mercedes

14 posts in this topic

No im not buying right now but the question popped up while I was reading a thread on another forum.

So how would you tell. The used car dealer wouldn't know. It seems possible that someone traded it in not mentioning to the dealer that they don't actually own the battery. Then what. These cars are connected to the internet. Can Mercedes disable them remotely. I wonder if this has happened. I happened to see one on a lot today. Decent price.

On edit. I saw the car in california.

Edited by John & Angela

With the VIN M-B should be able to answer that question.

Yah somebody just mentioned that on the other forum. I think it is an issue anyone buying a used smart ed in the US would want to be really careful about. They have some good prices on used ED's down there but can you imagine going through the import process to Canada and then find out that you don't own the battery and that Mercedes turned off your car. It will be something to watch for in the future from those buying used ED's/ Attractive pricing but seems a little scary. I suppose if Mercedes was willing to actually give you the info and back it up with a letter it would probably be okay. Interesting

This will be the way of the future. Annual "subscription fees" so the manufacturer won't shut your car off. LOL

This will be the way of the future. Annual "subscription fees" so the manufacturer won't shut your car off. LOL

Maybe we'll have to design tinfoil hats for the cars so they won't be accesible by satelite...or whatever. My guess is though they would access the car via the grid. Really have no idea though.

That's when my older cars come into the picture again!

I have no idea if M-B has the ability to remotely disable EDs. Given how terrible the Vehicle Homepage app is, I would be very surprised if they could do this.

As far as I know, North America has not built out any "smart grid" capabilities like they have in Europe. Even then, I believe the only data present is power and rate info to help manage peak and off-peak energy consumption. I doubt the capability exists to target and disable an individual vehicle connected to the network.

Although that is encouraging it would suck to find out you are wrong. I guess the best thing is to call MB and just be up front. I have a fellow snowbird who is looking at a smart ED to leave down here. Guess we'll get the Vin and ask.

I would expect when seeing EVs it will be common for people to request a battery report just like they do a Carfax.

I would expect when seeing EVs it will be common for people to request a battery report just like they do a Carfax.

Yes but I would suspect a used car dealer wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Not now, but I think EV buyers are a little more savvy, and dealers will eventually get the idea - hopefully.

just a guess, but wouldn't the lease of the battery pack show up as a lien against the title of the car, thereby making the transfer of the title impossible until the lien is cleared?

just a guess, but wouldn't the lease of the battery pack show up as a lien against the title of the car, thereby making the transfer of the title impossible until the lien is cleared?

Quite likely.

Quite likely.

Yah you would think. Good to know.