Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sparky

08 451 Cabrio Total shut down while driving.

23 posts in this topic

Our 2008 Passion has 85K on it now with no major past issues. Yesterday it just quite in the middle of a drive. All lights and accessories operate and voltage is right on. New battery. Dash fires up with three bar in the center but no start. Have had the odd issue in the last year with starter engaging with pressure against the key and sometimes starter engages only when the key is released. Not sure if that could work into an issue of no start, period. I also understand that SAM could have an issue but more probably with those miles the clutch actuator and or the shifter motor could be the culprit. If only one, the motor or actuator, is at fault should both be replaced when doing this work. Any advice on possible causes, reasonable OEM parts costs and repair facilities in the BC Lower Mainland would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 2008 I got from the dealer after previous owner walked away from it, with the same symptoms.

The dealer replaced the SEL ( that's Mercedes speak for the shifter lever and key ).

Works fine now, you can replace the unit yourself but you need a star machine to code the keys to the car.

Canman

I certainly hope that we don't have to shoot the horse because of having it's first lame leg. Thanks for the service list Huronlad. I do wish it was just the SEL. as it was the only thing that was intermittent in its operation since new.

As Smarty was a block away from a MD we pushed it there and they have spent two hours on diagnostics yesterday with no results yet. I thought three bars meant transmission not communicating with SAM. Thanks for your input. It is our fun set of wheels and we hate to loose it due to outrageous expenses. It's just a shame so few have the monopoly on service for this baby. Thanks for your input.

FYI.............. Apparently there was no communication between the tranny and SAM and thus STAR could not reading any codes. Rare apparently but can happen. Had a great discussion with the MB mechanic and he discovered the clutch actuator is the culprit. Repair to be completed shortly. Have owners found regular lubrication of the actuator rod doing any good in preventing ongoing problems with it? Thanks for your input.

That would explain the 3 bars of death indicated on the dash but not the engine shutting off while driving.

Canman

There is probably a good thought which it could have done as it was jammed in gear according to the MB mechanic as the clutch motor failed. New clutch motor and actuator installed and all is good. $1350.00 parts and labour. Our sweet set of wheels is back in operation. We can't complain with about $600.00 of maintenance costs sense purchased in 2010 and prior owner had a couple of warrantee issues. Also just replaced original battery. All is good.

Thanks for all your help and input. I love this site.

Edited by Sparky

Yes it is one unit but MB call it as if it appears like two units the actuator maybe being the push rod. It appears to be expensive alright but from what I was able to find out through non MB shops, that work on these it could have even cost more for the same service. The problem was the transmission did not communicate with TCU on shut down and no codes were entered consequently STAR had nothing to read and could not communicate with the transmission either. So several hours were taken to diagnose the problem ending up actually robbing a good clutch motor assembly from another Smart and installing it to confirm the issue for which I was not charged. I was told by other shops that work on these the same unit would cost $ 800.00 but by the time it was programmed by someone with a STAR like MB it would have cost me even more than what we paid. I was not able to find a rebuilt unit but now have one to rebuild needing the motor itself so i will be looking for shop that rebuilds these for the future.

I'm finding more and more if you have to depend on MB and have a lot of problems with these cars they are not a viable purchase unless one considers the expense worth the fun in owning one. We love it for what it is but not for what it can cost when having to visit MB regularly. Our 2012 Honda Civic 4 Cyl. ECON gets the same milage and have never had a lick of trouble with it or the other 5 Honda's I have owned since 1976. It does make you think.

Thanks for your input.

smarts are not really economy cars when you look at the premium fuel and the high cost of repairs, particularly for the diesel. I love mine dearly though.

I don't think it makes any sense to try to find a rebuilder for that motor....it'd be best to get a new spare one in Europe, which would be half the price of the Canadian spare part.

Just curious, what L/100 do you get with your Civic? We have two 2008/9 Civic Hybrids at the office and they both suck, 5.9 L/100 km overall (supposed to be 4.3), which is more or less the same as our Ford Fiesta 1.6! On the other hand, my highly modified diesel averages 4.1 and that's slightly BETTER than the Transport Canada rating!

451 clutch actuators are expensive typically £400 each so more than twice the cost of a 450 clutch actuator.

Yes Mike we love it too. being the Cabreo and I can hardly get my sweetheart to part with it for running around town visiting or shopping. So we will keep our fingers crossed. Why wouldn't just the electric motor be rebuildable that's what failed. It surprises me that no one rebuilds them. At 400 pounds ours at $800.00 is still cheaper than transporting one here with the pound being twice or close to our $ right now. Any way you look at it it's too expensive. If we had a few million Smarts around we wouldn't have this problem. So it's the price we pay to be the chosen few. Hence this wonderful site to try and fix and maintain our own to keep the costs down and I thank everyone that takes part for that. It would be a great help if we had a list of everyone that owned a STAR or equivalent unit to help out more economically.

Re: milage our 2012 Civic 4Cyl. Econ gives us an average of 6 Lt/100km being about the same for the Smart. The big advantage is it gives us 4 times the ride but only half the fun. 4.1 lt/100 is pretty awesome Mike.

Thanks again.

1 person likes this

If the part is $800 here I am certain it's at least 35% cheaper in Germany. That's the minimum difference I have noted on other parts I have got there.

Is there a supplier one could email to find out costs for the future? 35% can be eaten up pretty quick though with exchange, duties and shipping or are you including those costs? Thanks.

Prices vary from day to day so always best to keep googling using the correct part numbers.

SACHS 3981 000 066
Smart A 451 250 00 62

Please confirm above numbers are right before buying.

Two minutes of googling and I found this one for £240 plus postage etc:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Slave-Cylinder-clutch-Actuator-SACHS-3981-000-066-SMART-FORTWO-Cabrio/291659800731?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3Dfbf5444a474e46f88ba2bd18beb41d69%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D24%26sd%3D252284730006#shpCntId

Thanks Tolsen for the site.

I finally found a good site for procedures on full disassembly. What bothers me is the misinformation one gets when told that reprogramming has to take place when installing a new actuator and others say you can disassemble your own completely and put it back in properly without STAR contrary to MB advise who we know want your business.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/clutch-actuator-motor-can-removed-cleaning-51649/

As motors are available I will be taking our old unit apart to find exactly what failed.

I am not sure about the 451 but on the 450 the actuator can explode apart if you open it carelessly, lose an eye or two. To me, the risk is not worth it.

You may be right but according to http://www.smartcaro...cleaning-51649/ the talk here taking the motor out is not an issue but as you say done correctly which goes without saying. No thought about when transmission programming needs to be done and not done?

Edited by Sparky