Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smart65

Mazda CX-5 has indirect TPMS; works great!

7 posts in this topic

Why does smart not use the ABS sensors to figure out if a tire inflation problem exists? We had a situation with our Mazda CX-5 where one tire was at 28 psi and the others were at 32 psi. The soft tire was down by 12.5%. The TPM system signaled an alert, avoiding what eventually could have led to a blowout, since a slow leak was found when the tire was examined. I did an Internet search on TPMS, and found a Mazda CX-5 forum with the following post(s).

Originally Posted by hooked viewpost-right.png
swooshusn, can you explain why not having in-wheel sensors is a definite plus?

My Fusion is an 07, a year before they were mandated for all NA cars to have them. My wife's car, sister's car, and any number of other friends, associates, co-workers, etc who have the in-wheel sensors have all had issues with them. Ranging from constant false alerts that the tire pressure(s) was low, to one that leaked or eventually failed. Then there's the issue of people that want to run multiple sets of wheels, whether its just winter/summer or show/snow... its inconvenient and expensive. The ABS systems work just as well, and calculate wheel rotation based on a known outer diameter of the tire at a specific pressure -/+ a value. Its probably not as accurate/ but it doesn't need to be... its just an indication that you should check your tire pressure. You should be doing it periodically anyway, but can alert you to a potential problem.

All modern cars have ABS and computers to interpret the information about wheel rotation. It seems strange that so many manufacturers continue to use the expensive and inconvenient individual tire pressure sensor approach.

Our B 200 has this as well. Perhaps the staggered tire sizes are the reason.

Our MINI has this, but it's useless on run-flat tires, which come stock on all BMW and MINI products these days. The stiff sidewalls mean the wheel diameter/rotational speed doesn't change when pressure is lost. And I know this from experience.

Needless to say, we don't use run-flat tires any more for numerous reasons.

Edited by darren

Run flats have no give and the ride is like the tires are solid rubber, not pneumatic. They cost 50% more than a regular tire. German cars have a shitty ride at the best of times, so don't make it worse with run flats. Also: is 80 km of running on no pressure really going to get you where you need to go? Useless, useless product.

As Mike said, hard ride and expensive. We also had endless problems with sidewall bulges after pothole strikes. They're also heavy.

Their ONLY benefit is rendered useless by ABS-based TPMS. Regular tires, a can of fix-a-flat and a CAA membership are far better ways to spend money.

The spare area in the GLK250.is taken by the urea. 80K will get me to a repair station. 50% premium will buy a lot of service calls. I'll leave well enough alone. Thanks for the information.