Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mtiqbal

Do I need oil Change?

12 posts in this topic

My 2006, 450 diesel is in storage for last 20 months. I may have driven this about 100km in last 20 months. Battery is being kept alive by a charger. Not it is showing oil change -260 days. It works fine and starts on first key. I do not intend to use this much. (it is for backup/ fun ride). Do I need an oil change? What could happen if I do not do that? Thanks.

In my opinion, no. Others may disagree. I'm in a similar situation, but not as extreme as yours. My oil change indicator is probably approaching -356 days. I run the car for decent distances when I can, but most of the time it just sits with the battery tender keeping the battery at full charge. I suspect that the oil change indicator continues to update only because the battery is connected. If you removed the battery and charged it on a bench, the indicator would likely be dormant. There is nothing magic about the indicator; it's simply a timer.

1 person likes this

My car was in storage for the winter with the battery disconnected, and the indicator still remember the last reset.

In my opinion, no. Others may disagree. I'm in a similar situation, but not as extreme as yours. My oil change indicator is probably approaching -356 days. I run the car for decent distances when I can, but most of the time it just sits with the battery tender keeping the battery at full charge. I suspect that the oil change indicator continues to update only because the battery is connected. If you removed the battery and charged it on a bench, the indicator would likely be dormant. There is nothing magic about the indicator; it's simply a timer.

No more replies? Ok. I am gong to follow smart65 advice and do not go far an oil change.

It doesn't hurt to do an oil change. Maybe the oil has started to break down, who knows? No need to change the filter. I change my oil once a year no matter what.

Same here: I change my oil on a yearly basis, even if I now typically put less than 5,000 km to my smart each year. This car sits quite a lot in my garage over the winter season also.

I just finished changing the oil in my E320 five minutes ago. About 10,000kms on the oil: came out a nice golden colour. I changed up for Amsoil 5W40 Europan Formula this time - I was noticing a little bit of foaming from the Mobil 1.

I drove my 2006, 450 diesel about 3500km in the last 2.5 years. Oil is black (diesel car) as it was on the day oil was changed. Do I need an oi/filter l change? What could happen if I do not do that? Thanks.

You should change the oil once a year.

If you don't change it the dirty oil could clog one of the valve lifters and then you will have no compression and you would have to tear down the engine.

I would change the oil once a year,  its only a couple of litres  I park my smarty over the winter so I change it just before storage.  The hydro carbons that are blown past the rings during combustion can form an acid in the oil that should not be left over winter.

Just my thoughts.  I guess the short answer to your question is yes.

Alan

Given the relative tiny cost of the oil, filter and your time, do it every 6 months, clean oil will promote a healthier engine.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Provided the storage conditions were favourable the answer is "probably not". But considering the tiny cost of dropping the oil you'd be daft to take even a slight risk.  Just do it.

Edited by Chopper
1 person likes this