tolsen

Alternator freewheel pulley - faster gear changes

135 posts in this topic

Is this where you removed 1.1 mm from the pulley?. To accommodate pulley alignment?

Would you know if there is a cross over number for SKF instead of INA? SKF is more common here in Canada.

See post #4. No machining if using the specified INA pulley. The one I used came from a scrap yard and needed machining to align with crank shaft pulley.

The cost is about the same per second as an Eddy remap ;)

Price for the alternator pulley specified in post #4 vary enormously. Existing pulley is made out of aluminium and most likely years overdue for replacement due to wear. Not available from Smart or aftermarket so the alternative is either a new alternator, a machine shop modified solid pulley or a freewheel pulley.

It would be worth doing when the OE pulley wears out, for sure!

It would be worth doing when the OE pulley wears out, for sure!

I regrooved my alternator pulley in 2007. Did consider fitting a freewheel pulley then but they were just too expensive often costing as much as a new alternator. A lot cheaper now because freewheel pulleys are more common.

Ref previous post. I am now 99% sure the above Gates OAP7157 freewheel pulley will fit the 450 Cdi. Mercedes part number for same pulley appears to be 6601500060.

In support of my conclusion I offer the following photos:

Three photos of Gates OAP7157 freewheel pulley copied from the internet:

6601500060C.jpg

6601500060A.jpg

6601500060B.jpg

Two photos of the worn pulley removed from my 2002 Smart Cabrio Cdi:

DSC04436.jpg

DSC04434.jpg

Largest outer diameter of my pulley is 59 mm. Diameter over the top of grooves (ridges) is 54 mm. Thickness of distance washer is 5.0 mm. Please note the distance washer has to be reused.

I suspect the outer casing of the Gates pulley is made out of anodised aluminium. It should not suffer the same wear as my original pulley. Beware that freewheel pulleys do not last forever. 100,000 km seems to be the norm but could be much less on a Smart car exposed to salt gritted roads.

Bore of these alternator pulleys is 17.0 mm. Thread size is M16 x 1.5. Seems to be the norm these days.

Beware that freewheel pulleys do not last forever. 100,000 km seems to be the norm but could be much less on a Smart car exposed to salt gritted roads.

(Above quote from post #32 by tolsen) - Question: What symptoms would indicate that a freewheel pulley has reached the end of its service life?

Beware that freewheel pulleys do not last forever. 100,000 km seems to be the norm but could be much less on a Smart car exposed to salt gritted roads.

(Above quote from post #32 by tolsen) - Question: What symptoms would indicate that a freewheel pulley has reached the end of its service life?

Their freewheel seizes up or they become noisy.

Stickman's pulleys. One good and one bad.

photo.JPG

Is yours in a similar state as the bad one?

Even at 247K km mine was like the one on the left.

Even at 247K km mine was like the one on the left.

You have no proof. I thought mine was good too. You really need to get up close.

Professional contrarian are you? I saw it with my own eyes as I changed that belt about 10,000 km before the car was written off.

1 person likes this

Part number for the freewheel pulley that I am aware is being used by a later Smart car, most likely the 54 HP model, is 6601500060. Price confirmed by Mercedes dealer in Aberdeen yesterday morning: £102 plus VAT.

Something is wrong here.

Which pulley is correct?

INA is 8 mm from the alternator bearing the Gates is about 3 mm?

Obviously they are NOT the same in order to align the crank and water pump pulleys are they?

Both measure 8 mm. On the Gates you can measure on the diagram. Get your sliderule out and calculate distance.

Nobody has asked how to remove existing pulley and fit new freewheel pulley to specified torque.

Maybe because no-one is planning to do this job?

Today I test drove another Smart 450. No freewheel pulley on this Smart. Lethargic gear changes compared to my Cdi.

Edited by tolsen

Just undo nut that hold pulley to alternator. Counterhold on alternator shaft. Torque is 8.2 daNm.