CANMAN

Door Latch Failure with the NEW recall style latches

46 posts in this topic

Rather then continue the old thread about door latch failures, I started a new one because both my doors have had the Transport Canada Recall done and are the NEW latches.

I don't think Mercedes changed the design, just made another batch of them.

Last winter the passengers door didn't latch closed, fiddling with the mechanism useing the door key, I managed to free it and get the door closed.

Didn't use the door all winter, now that's it's spring I tried to open the door to fix the latch.

Can't get the door open!

The outside handle moves freely with no resistance.

The inside handle has resistance when pulled back but won't open the door.

Tried having a helper pull the inside handle while I held the outside handle and banged on the door to try and get it unstuck, no luck.

Can't remove the front clip to unbolt the door hinges to get it open because of the screws along the hinge line fastening the front clip.

Tried spraying lots of penetrating lube into the outside handle and into the area where the latch is.

The only thing I can think of is to go for a drive on a bumpy road with a passenger pulling on the door handle, hoping that vibrations from the bumps will jiggle something loose and open the door.

Does anyone have any ideas on getting it open?

Tomorrow I will phone Mercedes to see if they have any ideas on how to get it open.

I will ask if they will replace it again under warranty, but I doubt it.

Canman

How long ago did you have the latches replaced? M-B does have a warranty on replacement parts.

Hi Canman,

If this was a "normal" car I would attempt to remove the inner panel and reach the latch mechanism by hand. As I never had to get in there I don't know if this is possible or not. In most cars the inner panel is removable from the inside.

Maybe you can take the window weatherstrip off and get a flashlight and look into the door and see what is going on. I don't know if you can get the outer door skin off and see what's in there, never had mine off.

Nigel

You cant get the inner panel without being able to open the door. Sounds like a pain in the ass...

I have also replaced both door latches.. 1 on the recall.. one i paid for out of pocket. The drivers door is already giving me an issue after about 2 years since replaced by MB. Id likely try and give it a good kick from inside.. but im nkt recomending this.

Managed to get the door open while driving on a bumpy road and pulling the handle and banging the inside of the door.

I was the passenger, my wife drove.

Not scientific but it worked.

Good thing I live in the country.

There was a lot of grit in the latching mechanism.

I blew it out with so compressed air, flushed the mechanism with brake parts cleaner, dried it with compressed air and applied lots of penetrating lubricant.

Seem to have done the trick, door opens and closes fine now.

I will keep an eye on it and report back on this thread if it acts up again.

Canman

Kudos to M-B for redesigning a safety item and making it worse than the original.

Kudos to M-B for redesigning a safety item and making it worse than the original.

I had both of mine replaced last summer as part of the recall. The passenger side is now functioning in a very clunky manner compared to the driver's side. Possibly a "lubrication" fix for Uncle Glenn.

I think I will take the inner panels off when I have some spare time, clean and lubricate everything as prevention.

I likely still have the original unit I switched out on my own, I keep pretty much every part I have taken off and replaced.. I will get a look the next time I pop the panels off for a clean and grease.. which will be soon. That thing sitting on jack stands for a month has all kinds of squeaks and sticks.

Mine have been wonky since nearly the beginning -- remember I reported that there appeared to be no significant differences in the design apart from the colour of the bracket? -- and in the past few weeks I've had issues both opening and closing the less-used passenger door; it frequently refuses to close until I use the key to fiddle with the latch as CANMAN describes in the OP. The driver door also feels clunky and worn out just like the original latch felt.

Francesco, the problem with your doors may be the cable between the latch and handle.

Unfortunately Mercedes does not sell just the cable, you have to buy a new handle to get the cable.

By the way they are out of stock on the passenger door handle.

I did a wiki on how to macgiver the cable, no pictures though.

http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?app=ccs&module=pages&section=pages&id=4&record=24

Canman

Edited by CANMAN

Opened the passenger door earlier today to give someone a lift, and it now refuses to close. Took a short video and texted it to MB Shop Foreman Neighbour; he responded that I should complain to MB Canada and write up a few nasty Facebook posts. Had to drive home from work at 1:00 am with the interior lights on and holding the door handle to keep from damaging the hinges on our terrible roads.

Going to remove the exterior panel in the morning and get to the dealership to show them. I will try to leave it with them and get a 453 loaner... ;)

I'm sure the 453 will have its own share of headaches when it's ten years old. Those 450 latches are atrocious though.

Well, as CANMAN suggests, I may be barking up the wrong tree. I'll pop off the panels to make sure it's not a snapped cable first.

Popped off the outsid handle, cable is fine. Latch is needed seized and not tumbling. I took it to the dealership, Foreman came for a look went straight in to confer with the service manager, and came out with a camera. He took stills and video, and said it was being reported to MB Canada. Then he told me not to hold my breath, tear down the door and clean the latch, put it back together and NOT use the door for the rest of the summer.

Huh? That sounds like useless advice....

Well yeah. Unfortunately he knows the speed at which things like this are handled, and figures Corporate won't have an answer anytime soon.

Meanwhile, tonight I removed the handle, took the mirror and door panel off, and removed the latch assembly. It's actually fairly clean all around. I can't figure out how it works, but no amount of liberal spraying with brake & electrical cleaner is making any other parts move inside the riveted box, and the visible "horseshoe" part of the latch simply doesn't stay locked in the closed position. Playing with the inside and outside handle levers doesn't seem to engage or disengage anything anywhere, as if it's missing another link to keep the horseshoe bit latched closed.

OK, read this entire thread hoping for an epiphany, but it didn't happen.My 2006 CDI has been sitting in the garage for 2 months because the last time I went to drive it the friggin's driver door refused to latch. Cables and handle are peachy - the latch itself simply refuses to stay latched.I've got the thing off, have cleaned the bejesus out of it, nothing seems to be seized, broken, worn or anything else...except the latch arm that captures the door post simpy refuses to stay in the closed position. Now, I tend to be reasonably handy, but I've looked at this thing seven ways from sundown and I'll be buggered if I can see where anything of the various arms and spring powered gizzies come anywhere close to that rotating latch arm. The only thing that even touches it is a small white button on top of some kind of small modules that sits under a bit of formed spring metal...I'm assuming that this is a sensor of some sort.From what everyone is saying, I'm getting the drift that the latch is a non-servicable component...but can anyone explain to me how the various coated levers that connect to the cable are supposed to work the latch????? Like I said, unless there's something that broke and fell off, I can find no mechanical interaction between components worked by the door handles and the actual part of the latch that keeps the door shut...and it's driving me nuts! (Yes, I know - a short drive indeed.)Rick

This, to a Tee.

The mechanism will be pretty simple. I just bought a brand new left hand side lock case with actuator for a ridiculous price. £22.90 inclusive of postage. Will soon be in a position to open one out so i can figure out how the mechanism works.

A couple of years ago while I was still in BC, the MB dealership showed me the old vs new part. I know its a vague picture, but this is what they look like side by side.

post-11642-0-06292500-1462460485_thumb.jpg

Francesco,

Read the first thread on door latch failures, I know it's really long, but I remember someone identified the internal part that is causing the problem.

I think they just made a new batch of the same old design.

Canman

A couple of years ago while I was still in BC, the MB dealership showed me the old vs new part. I know its a vague picture, but this is what they look like side by side.

attachicon.gifPhotos - 0767.jpg

Which is the old design? The one on the right?

Yes old on the right, the new ones are silver in colour.