SmartED

Ontario Digs Deeper

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

An even simpler idea: Don't get stranded.  I've been driving for 20 years, comprising hundreds of thousands of km's of trips, and I've never been stranded because I ran out of fuel.  That includes 3.5 years of driving electric.

I definitely don't want to cart a smelly generator around with me at all times just in case, when this situation appears to arise less then once every 20 years.

Cheaper too.

Edited by steveyfrac
1 person likes this

You are lucky that you don't live in Houston, Florida or Puerto Rico.

Even Toronto and the East coast of the U.S had long power outages in 2003 and a few Winter storms that did the same.

4 hours ago, smartdriver said:

Toronto and the East coast of the U.S had long power outages in 2003 

I cannot remember the last time power went out for more than a blink of an eye.

I run a computer in the basement with no battery backup power, the Linux uptime was 300 days when I checked it a few weeks ago.  300 days where the power hasn't glitched more than a few seconds, which is the DC power supply lag time.

Better, it's been 14 years since the 2003 power outage.   If it's 14 years between multi-day power outages, spending money on generators is a poor investment in time/effort IMHO. 

I am somewhat surprised at the negativity associated with preparing to use a gasoline generator to charge an electric car in emergencies.

For myself, if I had only an electric car, it seems to make a lot of sense as well as it does to the huge number (over 46,000 reads) on this Leaf thread on the subject.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5792