booneylander

Ordered a Chinese turbo center section. We'll see how this pans out.

48 posts in this topic

They are not available from Smart. Comes with complete turbo. I regret I sold my old waste gate actuator for ten Pounds.

1 person likes this

Yep, my mechanic pretty much the same thing, drill and insert a metal pipe from both sides and glue everything together.

the only luck ive ever had with gluing plastic fittings like that is to drill them out and use a brake line or similar tube inserted in both ends to support it internally

original gorilla glue works good ...another good adhesive for plastic and metal is windshield urethane...both require parts to be super clean

but repairability depends on where its broke of course.....

are new actuators really that expensive to risk it?

Man, do the Chinese ever not pull through? And for a lot cheaper than the 100$ my garage wanted to charge me. I'm gonna order it from ebay, free shipping yay!

Personally I don't use Aliexpress but I do like ebay

Try this link.

The price is a few dollars less but more important I like their protection policy, which has been very honorable in the past

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Actuator-KP31-Smart-MCC-Fortwo-0-8-CDI-MC01-OM660DE08LA-Turbocharger-wastegate-/262506823312?hash=item3d1ea03e90:g:vKYAAOSwZ1BXdkU6&vxp=mtr

ive had more troubles buying things on ebay than Ive ever had on aliexpress (none with ali)

but yes id have to go with that ebay price ..plus with ebay the sellers tend to use trackable tracking numbers ...aliexpress they use the most useless cheapest way they can

Actuator rod on the China actuator appears to be made out of zinc plated carbon steel so will rust and seize if not looked after. The petrol 450 is prone to actuator rod seizure. It has carbon steel rod and its actuator and rod sits below the manifold as opposed to above as on our diesel hence very much exposed to the elements. The cure is applying high temperature grease from time to time.

Rod seizure is uncommon on the Cdi since rod is made out of high grade stainless steel. Still, a drop of oil where rod enters actuator pot will make it operate smoother.

The car's gotten a bit slow again and smokey, going to have to plug in the scangauge and see what kind of boost I'm making. I can hear the turbo spool, maybe the rod just needs to be adjusted. In any case, I'll keep you guys posted on the results.

On 2016-08-13 at 7:23 PM, booneylander said:

The car's gotten a bit slow again and smokey, going to have to plug in the scangauge and see what kind of boost I'm making. I can hear the turbo spool, maybe the rod just needs to be adjusted. In any case, I'll keep you guys posted on the results.

Any results? Low power and smoke when coming on to boost on mine= Hole in intercooler..:(  Just finishing that swap out now. Mine china turbo centre seems to be ok. Installed last fall.

Yes!

So, a couple of things. First, the car had developed an exhaust leak from the EGR block-off plate I had installed, the one that came with the EGR emulator. Not surprising as it was thin stock with a fiber gasket. I cut down the original EGR cooler and welded the opening shut, replaced the EGR block-off plate with the welded flange and the original stainless steel o-ring seal. This fixed the exhaust leak. Then I took it for a spin with the Scangauge hooked up and I was way down on boost. I adjusted the wastegate actuator rod so that I was getting 33psia on the SG, and now the car has good power again and no smoke. 

When I replaced the cartridge, the wastegate had been slightly stuck, I think because the worn compressor never allowed the car to reach full boost, so the actuator was just totally closed all the time. Now with the new turbo it would have been opening and closing often, and I guess once everything "wore in again" it went way out of adjustment. 

So, to conclude, now that I've reset everything into adjustment, all's good in the hood as it were.

Sean

It is time to update this thread with my experiences.

After about 8000km on the first center section, the turbine-compressor shaft snapped in half. I replaced the center section with another one (I had bought two at once to have a "spare"). Right off the hop the second center section sounded really different, much quieter, so I had though maybe the first one I had put in was just a bad one that hadn't been properly balanced or something. I tried to get the broken one replaced since the seller advertised that it had a one year warranty. To make a long story short, the seller basically told me to fork off and the ali express dispute system didn't help me either. Unimpressed. Chalk it up to a learning experience.

The second center section hung in there for about 16k km (maybe a bit more, the SO has been really pounding the mileage to the thing and I forget where it was when I swapped the last center section in), just a few days ago it also seems to have bit the dust. I haven't taken everything apart yet but the car is boost-less and I can't hear any turbo noise at all under load so I'm assuming a similar failure has occurred, I wasn't driving the car at the time, so the only report I got was "I think it's in limp mode or something". 

I've ordered another chinese CHRA to replace it. A different "brand". I was contemplating trying to get my hands on a good used OEM one or even ordering an OEM replacement, but, the price gap is so substantial that even at 10-20k km cartridge changes, china is still the way to go. This time I ordered it from Amazon, from a seller who's name I've seen many times selling many goods so I'm hoping the warranty process, if I have an immediate issue with the turbo, might be a bit better.

I'll be the guinea pig.

Oh the joys of pattern parts with inferior metallurgy ;)

The unfortunate part is that guys are selling "remanufactured" turbos on Kijiji for $899+ and they're just OEM housings repainted (poorly) with these $100 center sections in them.

Sorry to ask the stupid question, but, this actuator or waste gate thing a magig......is it supposed to be solid to the touch when the engine isn't runing?  OR is there some play to be felt?    Just the knuckle dragger asking ...lol  Thanks....

OK I was going to think about seeing if it moved with an adjustable one day, but didn't want to risk breaking it if it isn't supposed to move. Thanks.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to own a shop manual with specs etc etc just like any other car  I have owned. This is the first one that I couldn't buiy a shop manual for....I like manuals to see whats what and how to easily deal with stuff.....yes the internet has many many helpful articles but nothing beats a book....in this case imho.

manuals are wrong 20% of the time (30% for chilton)

i prefer the internet where its 50/50...makes like more interesting

But it also makes life more expensive if you act too quickly after you get bad advice...lol

Hello guys, what's you experience in the end with these chiese turbo?

Are they worth or should I go with an originale Garrett core assey?

Thanks

Some say they are soft as cheese but mine has worked fine for half a decade. 

As with all non water cooled turbos, an unSmart driver can quickly ruin them by not allowing turbo to cool after a spirited drive so study relevant info in your handbook. 

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, tolsen said:

Some say they are soft as cheese but mine has worked fine for half a decade. 

As with all non water cooled turbos, an unSmart driver can quickly ruin them by not allowing turbo to cool after a spirited drive so study relevant info in your handbook. 

Have you advice for a cheap turbo?

Sherry can I find them?

4 hours ago, FranRukario said:

Have you advice for a cheap turbo?

Sherry can I find them?

Here are some links:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KP31-Turbocharger-Smart-Fortwo-Cabrio-City-Coupe-0-8-0-8-CDI-MC01-41hp-30k-turbo/153150368269?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20190212102350%26meid%3D7083f2ccf7b84a6a9887e1e5cf21bb9c%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D223624317850%26itm%3D153150368269%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Powertec-Turbocharger-KP31-full-turbne-turbo_60826697818.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.20765c36LR6kT1

In general you may google KP31 and the chinese made turbos will pop up, it seems many ebay sellers are selling these products with higher prices than the chinese sources.

Since you are in Italy you may look for MEAT & DORIA 65022, they are a great OEM quality supplier just outside Turin and may get one of their turbos for just under 400€

11 hours ago, autovel said:

Here are some links:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KP31-Turbocharger-Smart-Fortwo-Cabrio-City-Coupe-0-8-0-8-CDI-MC01-41hp-30k-turbo/153150368269?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20190212102350%26meid%3D7083f2ccf7b84a6a9887e1e5cf21bb9c%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D223624317850%26itm%3D153150368269%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Powertec-Turbocharger-KP31-full-turbne-turbo_60826697818.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.20765c36LR6kT1

In general you may google KP31 and the chinese made turbos will pop up, it seems many ebay sellers are selling these products with higher prices than the chinese sources.

Since you are in Italy you may look for MEAT & DORIA 65022, they are a great OEM quality supplier just outside Turin and may get one of their turbos for just under 400€

Thanks, I was thinking changing only core assy