Frostyfx

How to manually open soft top

14 posts in this topic

Hello,

Am I ever in a bind!

I put the soft top up without the roof rails! Now the top is stuck half way and will not open or close.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

It should detach from the B pillar if you press the release button. Putting the soft top up without the side bars in place isn't a problem, normally.

Do any of you have a picture of the 4mm bolt that is used to manually operate the soft top on a 2009 Smart  fortwo ? I have removed the plastic cover that is supposed to show the bolt but I can't find it. I'm so puzzled. I tried to open the top, it moved about 6 inches and stopped. It will not move. No blown fuse. I build racecars but this thing I know nothing about.

This is the one that is normally included with the convertibles.  (Came with mine anyway)

Smart convertible wrench.png

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thank you. I have this tool Leadwing. Can't figure out where it goes. 3 of us looked with much gusto to no avail. Puzzled.

Edited by bigtars

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tolsen.... I read it twice. How many more times do you think I should read it?  My wife read it only once. Do you suggest that she read it again ? Oh,,,, My son read it once also.  Do you think I should have a neighbor read it a couple of times ? By the way, there is not one mention of a 4mm hex wrench in my manual. NOT ONE !. " Read your handbook" isn't help. I would think you could come up with a better answer If you knew one.

Edited by bigtars

I have looked all over the place for info and found nothing. Others say it has only one motor. WRONG !!  It has 2 motors. But I cannot find where I can rewind the top manually. I'm so puzzled.

maybe it isnt possible to do on a 451

youd think it would be in the handbook if it was..or on the internet

only mentions i can find are for the 450 

1 person likes this

21 hours ago, bigtars said:

Do any of you have a picture of the 4mm bolt that is used to manually operate the soft top on a 2009 Smart  fortwo ? I have removed the plastic cover that is supposed to show the bolt but I can't find it. I'm so puzzled. I tried to open the top, it moved about 6 inches and stopped. It will not move. No blown fuse. I build racecars but this thing I know nothing about.

it wont be a bolt

if it has a way it will probably be in the center of some round housing that appears to contain a winding gear and an electric motor attached///.....like a power window motor

1 person likes this

I took it over to a close friends shop. IF there's a way, he will find it.

where is the tool stored in the car?

i checked my 450 cabrio and i see 2 holes where the motors are but no tool in the battery styrofoam and no tool in the roof bar storage area of the tailgate

Mine was in the owners pouch along with the manual.

2 people like this