Jaguar

Burning Rubber

14 posts in this topic

Normally, when I accelerate hard, I press the pedal down quickly, but smoothly. Yesterday, however, I just stomped the pedal to the floor, like they do in those Tesla videos. The traction control kicked in but, to my surprise, not before the rear tires broke loose and left two, thin black marks on the pavement. This was on dry, clean pavement, by the way. The TC killed my acceleration. Has anyone else laid rubber?

Daily.

Has anyone else laid rubber?

Daily.

Seriously tho, I estimate I have fully floored the throttle on my Smart ED 25 times daily nearly 3 years into ownership, so about 25000 applications of full throttle.

There are specific places on my commute where there is an off camber turn, or a slight hump in the road directly after a stop sign, I routinely get wheel slip and traction control intervening. In fact, just this afternoon I went into the local MB dealer to book my first service appointment (ever), and inquire about the new 2017 Smart ED. I am looking to trade up to a new one, and I am hoping the traction control won't be as intrusive on the new model.

I confess that I frequently engage the detent :icon_twisted: But I seldom get wheel spin unless I do it on a corner (merging onto a busy street). I don't think I have done a full ludicrous mode stomp though - quick but no stomp.

It is possible to disable ESP on the ED. I've done it, and the result was highly entertaining on a snow-covered parking lot. I've never done it on dry pavement, though. And despite many "kickdown mode" launches, I've never laid down any rubber just an occasional chirp if I'm lucky.

1 person likes this

My car is starting to show some signs of performance degradation. I used to be able to get a bit of wheel spin on dry pavement, but now, the launches are starting to get a bit slower.

Are you noticing any performance degradation at all? I think you're the only other "high mileage" electric around the forums.

I haven't noticed any change. BTW just rolled over 65,000kms.

1 person likes this

I would expect that any performance degradation would be directly associated with the battery. There's not much else in the drive train that could cause degradation and Bosch electric motors easily run 10,000+ hours under heavy load before failure.

I agree that the tires could make a difference in the feel of performance, but that would be limited by one's ability to discern the contributing factors.

I'm going with perception. When I first got the car and tromped it - "Holy sh*t!". Now it is more like "Yup - there we go :)". I want to say that the performance is down - but I'm quite sure I have just gotten used to it. Chirping the tires has too many variables to use as a guage of course. The only way is to measure it. And how many of us put it through measured acceleration when it was new?

Yes, that's exactly my perception as well.

There is battery tests of Smart cars that show performance degradation over time in terms of peak power output. I'll try and find it when I'm at a proper desk.