GSYYZ

2 year service

16 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

I'm due for the 2 year service on my 2014 Smart EV, it only has 18,000kms on it. My local Dealer has quoted me $335 plus a brake flush at $99. I totally think the brake flush is ridiculous for a 2 year old car but I have know idea if the $335 normal? To my knowledge its to replace the cartridge, do I actually need to do this? FYI it's a $99 a month lease which matures in 1 year. Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Glenn

As usual it is MB expensive and I'm not sure if the price is out of line. However not getting it done and turning it in next year, would that be held against you? I don't know and maybe others can join in.

That filter that has to be replaced can be done by yourself and it has been written up on here as to how to do it. Doesn't sound difficult.

A brake fluid change every 2 years is the normal recommendation for all cars. It may be overkill, but it does reduce the chance that the bleeder valves will be seized when the system needs to be serviced.

3 people like this

A brake flush at smart Nanaimo several months ago in my 450 cost $160.

Don't let the stealership touch your car for that price!

The 2-year service is mostly easy visual checks, plus the cabin air filter, takes a few minutes if done yourself. The brake flush takes a few more minutes and needs a helper, unless you get speed bleeders. Plus a few $$ for brake fluid.

Nothing is smart or ED-specific, so any good independent can do it for less money if you don't want to do it yourself.

Only ED-specific item you need to go to smart for is the battery check and desiccant: free if you have BAP, $$ otherwise.

Edited by SmartLikeTheWind

Shop around. Different dealers charge drastically different prices for the exact same service.

The desiccant cartridge is a must. The cabin air filter is a DIY. For the brake flush $99 is a good price considering the brake fluid is about $25/L.

On 2016-08-16 at 6:25 PM, smart65 said:

A brake fluid change every 2 years is the normal recommendation for all cars. It may be overkill, but it does reduce the chance that the bleeder valves will be seized when the system needs to be serviced.

Going to change the brake fluid myself do you know the wheel order for flushing?

$400 with tax is what I paid for my 3 year service.

I have only brought my Smart ED in once, but I purchased, not lease.

I had a list of issues to fix, they didn't do any of them.

So, yeah, if you're not handy, pay up, otherwise, others have listed jobs you should do such as the battery cartridge and brake fluid.

The desiccant cartridge is about C$30.15 plus tax.    MB claims about a 2 year best before date on the packaging.   The actual cartridge is in a vacuum sealed bag, so I'd assume that the BBD assumes that the vacuum leaks and that moisture gets into it.   I bought one for next year and stuck it in my freezer.   Figure that will vastly extend the storage lifetime.

The MB parts counter for one of the corporate stores in Toronto.   I asked for the price out of curiosity because our ED isn't due until next spring.   Followed by a quick "thanks, I'll take one".   

They shouldn't be expensive.  Its a plastic housing, O-ring, mesh and some silica gel beads.   I think there are some out there inflating the prices. 

I had the reverse experience with the black retractable cargo cover.   Quoted $145 at time of ED purchase.  Parts counter said $250 when I went in to get one.    I blew a gasket all over the salesman. Fortunately they relented.

I just contacted MB in Halifax, they quoted me 30-some-odd dollars.  V-Star in Kitchener charged me $78 last time.

On 7/27/2017 at 5:06 PM, marchanna said:

I just contacted MB in Halifax, they quoted me 30-some-odd dollars.  V-Star in Kitchener charged me $78 last time.

Do you still have your Smart ED? I am looking to have mine services in the next month before my warranty runs out and Halifax is the closest location (then Quebec City).

Just curious as when I called them they look a few months to get pricing, and doesn't seem like they are as familiar with the ED,

Yup.  I still have it.  It runs great. No detectable degradation of the battery yet.

I haven’t had any service done in Halifax, so I can’t comment on their quality of work or pricing.

All I can say is that after over 90,000kms this little car keeps on going trouble free.

1 person likes this