FlossyTheSmart

Short Notice: Forum Upgrade to address hijacking issues and "Malicious Site" warnings

9 posts in this topic

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've last been on here, but I've been kicking around and occasionally keeping an eye on here. I've been trying to fire fight the link hijacking issues that are popping up, but I think there are just too many security holes in this version of the forum software to keep them at bay. As such, I'll be putting the site into "Maintenance Mode" later today so that I can upgrade the site to Invision Power Board 4. I've been holding off on doing this upgrade as it's a full rewrite of the forum software, and as such, there will be some differences to the current experience, and there will no doubt be some issues in the upgrade. That being said, I'm sure you'll learn to adjust to the new version quickly, and be able to take advantage of some of the new features!

I'll leave you with that for now, and if there are questions, feel free to ask them.

This post has been promoted to an article

The site is now back up in its most basic form, on the new version of Invision Power Suite.  I'll be working to restore full functionality over the course of the weekend.

1 person likes this

Nice!

This is expected to cure the tinyurl (etc) hijack that happens when someone searches us at google and then clicks a desired link? I just checked and there appear to no longer be any links showing in google at all for a search of 'club smart car' pointing to clubsmartcar.com

It should.  That was a malicious piece of code that was being injected into the site through a backdoor in the old version of the forum software.  Definitely keep an eye out for it still, but I'm 99.9999999% certain it should stop that one.

Cool. And hopefully google will re-index us properly afterwards, and we'll be done with the jackers....

It'll take some time for the site to be re-evaluated, then it should go away.  Not entirely sure how long though.

Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More