cadillacman

New Version woes

48 posts in this topic

you don't deserve my input

Edited by cadillacman
1 person likes this

Yeah, now that we're getting some activity again wit the new version, I think you're right, the "all activity" stream does look a bit too verbose.  Try giving the "Condensed" version a shot (There's a little toggle at the top right of the activity stream), and see what you think.  Condensed is still showing one item per post, but since it doesn't show the actual content of the post, I think it looks a bit better (And I think I'll probably change that to be the default).

The red item is a comment on someone's "status" (Basically a public message on the user's profile), and that probably doesn't need to show up on this "All activity" stream either (Nor do new members, in my opinion).

I can tweak the streams in all sorts of ways to change what shows up by default (And actually, I think there's a way members can make their own custom streams too?), as well as making different streams available to different member groups (eg. people who aren't signed in).

I noticed the large gaps between paragraphs as well while making my last post (some huge gaps there!).  Since this version of the board actually uses CKEditor for creating new posts, I imagine it shouldn't be impossible to get that corrected.

Still investigating getting topics to show rather than posts in the activity stream though.

As an aside, I will mention that FINALLY this version has addressed my desire for the activity stream (formerly "view new content") and the search functionality actually show ALL content across the site, meaning that a search will finally show results from the Wiki mixed in with results from the forum, and an edit to a wiki page will show up in unread content...

No personal disrespect to the "creators" but...gee whiz...who decided to "fix" that which wasn't broke?

From a site user perspective, the site was "broke", in that some links from search engines were being hijacked and users were being taken to a different site, where they could have gotten a virus.

From a webmaster's perspective, the site was "broke" in that there were security holes in the software allowing hackers to gain access to the site storage, allowing said hijacking attempts to be allowed, personal data (such as email addresses and hashed passwords) to be potentially extracted, and server resources being used on who knows what (spam emailing potentially)

From a software developers perspective, the software was "broke in that it had been based on more than 10 years of code, which means they're constantly working around design mistakes they made when they still didn't know what they were doing.  The software had to be rewritten from scratch to become more efficient and to allow for better features to be developed over the next 10 or more years.

I realize that anytime something changes on a website people will say "Why did it need to change", but software updates are inevitable, and things need to change to address new features, fix bugs, etc.  On a major update like this, things take time to get everything back in order.  In order to speed up that process, it's always best if users can provide some assistance of their own, by trying to provide constructive feedback that I can actually use to make the site more usable again.  Simply saying "It sucks now!" doesn't help me do that.  While Cadillacman's comments are showing frustration, he is also pointing out specific things that I can look at and try to improve.

(PS: Regarding the stupid new line vs paragraph thing - There is a toggle switch to switch between them, but it doesn't seem to actually change anything, and we're still left with the huge gaps when you hit enter.  Still investigating.)

1 person likes this

This is  to all the frustrated users ......

Have patience!  I am one of those who doesn't take kindly to change so it is frustrating to me as well, but I know Max knows what he is doing and will eventually get it all sorted out.  As he mentioned in the previous post, constructive criticism is useful and may help him narrow down the problems. 

1 person likes this

Iguess I am just not sufficiently computer literate to continue with this new site.  I cannot locate Servicing* which was a snap on the old site...I cannot find the Members* list so that I can locate individuals and wite to them personally...I have a deuce of a time finding anything frankly.  Why not...for those of us who are apparently computer illiterate...post a site guide bar at the top of the site so that we simple folk can learn how to find stuff?  It would make life less frustrating...

If you hover over the "Browse" tab at the top of the page, you'll see most of the options that were at the top of the old site.  Perhaps what should change is all of the options that are currently underneath "Browse" should be moved up to the top level, such that they sit alongside the current "Activity" tab.  Some general fiddling with the top of the site menu might be in order.

Screenshot.png

EDIT: If you're visiting on mobile, it'll obviously look a bit different, but you should see the same categories if you click on the hamburger menu at the top right of the page (3 horizontal lines in the top right)

1 person likes this

I recognize and appreciate the need for changes to streamline and protect users...but without an online 'guide' as to how to actually use the new program one can only realize frustration of the users which is counter-productive.  Yes...with some reservations, I loved the former site.  Perhaps I could grow to appreciate the new one with a Simpleton's guide to help me.  The UK site is marvellous...actually both of them and perhaps worth emulating here and there?

Interestingly, there used to be an actual "Help" feature with a set of guides that outlined all of the functionality of the software suite, but it seems to be missing in this version.

You can also disregard the snapshot I posted above now, as I've already rejigged the menu a bit to make the main features show on the top level of the menu.

You have tons of computer talent....a gift to all of us.  I, for one, appreciate your receptiveness to requests for change and clarification.  Whatever you do as the new site evolves...please always let your guide be the constant thought that many of us are just not as educated and capable on these things.  Again, my thanks for all that you do.

I've only accessed on mobile since the update, and I think it's working extremely well. I had to update my bookmark (which takes me directly to new/unread posts), and so far, no issues. 

Congrats to the team on a smooth transition, and thanks for continuing to work out any user experience kinks. 

no problemo.  What works for one might not work for another.  I like the 'simplicity' of that site and the ease of navigation.  Sorry about the pics though...you should email and let them know.

Sure, I can elaborate on it.

If you go to your own profile page, you'll see a list of your posts.  Right above that, there's a text box that says "What's on your mind?" in which you can type a "Status Update".  That gets posted on your own page.  If you go to someone elses profile page, you'll see in the same spot a text box that says "Leave a message on <member>'s feed".  Those messages that are on someone elses feed are the ones that appear to be directed at someone.  The one in your original picture is a post that Ritchie made on GRP151's feed.

Side note: For some reason I don't seem to see that "Leave a message on Cadillacman's feed" on your profile page, and I suspect that means that you don't see the "What's on your mind?" box either.  Everyone elses profile that I've looked at has had that box.  Probably some weird permissions thing that I can look into.

EDIT: Went looking to figure it out, and either you disabled status updates on the previous version of the site, or some other setting got converted into this one in the upgrade.  Slightly relieved to find it isn't some weird group permission interaction

Screenshot-1.png

Max 

Thanks for all the hard work you are doing to update this forum.  Compared to other forums I am on you had us back up in record time.  I read the forum on my ipad mini most of the time and I find the "first unread post" button a little close to the subject line and often find myself at the first post rather than the first unread.  I don't know if that is something that can be improved in the future.  I like the look on my laptop.

Thanks for your consideration

Nigel

Edited by Nigel

I've noticed that when creating a post or a reply, new lines following a 'return' are not capitalized.

Hitting 'return' should result in a new line starting with a capital letter.

Very annoying that it doesn't.

this oversite should be corrected, if possible (notice start of this line).