Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jwongstedt

Used Smart to Survive Alberta Winters

7 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

My name is Jeff, and I have been looking into purchasing a used Smart. based on my budget, I can afford either a 2005, 2006 or 2008. I do very little high way driving, but I do visit family every once and a wile out of town. I heard gas smarts are better for winter as they produce more heat that diesel engines, but I have no idea what I am really doing. I will attach links bellow with the ones I am looking at. I am a total car newbie and this will be my first vehicle. I'd really like it to be a smart, but I don't know the first thing about buying a used smart.

Any and all help would be super appreciated!

2008 Smart: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2008-smart-fortwo-pure-extremely-low-mownthly-paymnets-apply-n/1194181109?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

2005 Smart: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/smart-for-two-2005-passion/1197815490?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

2006 Smart: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2006-smart-fortwo-pure/1197343289?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true   

I am leaning towards the 2008 because I believe they have cruise control, which is super important if I visit family outside the city. Thanks everyone In advance!! I can't wait to own a smart; been a dream of mine since the first came here in Canada.

- Jeff

The third one is a wreck, don't even consider it.  The second one has high km and probably lots of issues.  Could be worth a quick look if you check all the known trouble spots.  The gas model also has mismatched panels so it too has probably been schmucked.

Welcome, none of those years came from the factory with cruise.  Aftermarket installations may have happened.  I would take a gas smart over the diesel.  For your budget and as a first car, I would advise going with something domestic that will be cheap and easy to fix

1 person likes this

Is the used car business so good that a car dealer does not even have to wash the clunker to make a sale?

What Mike said. I'm not sure I'd touch any of those.

The diesels are all getting long in the tooth by now, and as a first car, could be very expensive to maintain and repair. And yes, they're damn cold in the winter.

The gas ones I've never liked due to the awful transmission and mediocre power from an engine requiring premium fuel. 

The new ones, however, are excellent, but probably out of your budget. My advice would be to buy a Civic or a Fit. 

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm thinking of spending a bit of time to save and actually go for a new 2016 Smart, maybe see about financing. However, If I was to keep looking for a used smart, what should I look for in purchasing? I'm assuming km and damages, but is there anything else? What would be acceptable for Km in a used smart? Also, which models have cruise control? I'll try to find out with more research on my own, but any info would be greatly appreciated!

Few 450s have factory cruise.  Those that do were mostly installed by third parties, not the dealer (mine was done by the dealer).  Avoid the Mister Dot Com cruise on a 450.

No 451 before 2012 or thereabouts had factory cruise, but those with the Area 451 cruise were as good as OEM.

450s have the following weak points: spring breakage, intercooler leaks, SAM failure on headlight and fuel pump circuits, starter motor, alternator seizure.

451s have their own issues, though they're less finicky overall.