Bonsai

Turbo

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a 2006 diesel fortwo smartcar and I just had the turbo changed and picked it up last night and drove it home and it is blowing smoke still and sluggish and blowing black smoke when I'm tryin to go up the slightest incline. Unfortunately my husband is away for a bit and I'm all alone and don't know what else to do, as I don't have money to just keep throwing away. Could anyone have the slightest clue what else may now be the problem, oh and the engine light came on now As I got home and I never had the engine light come on before!! I am desparate and any help would be much appreciated!

thank you

Sluggish and blowing black smoke is most likely seized open EGR valve.  Suggest you get your good  husband to blank off exhaust supply to your EGR valve.  Perhaps bad for the birds and the bees but blowing black smoke is much worse.

Take it back to the garage that "fixed" the turbo.

Obviously that wasn't the problem and they changed a perfectly good turbo.

As Tolsen said, the problem is the EGR valve.

If they don't know what or where it is, time to find a new mechanic.

canman

Well someone I was telling at work who used to be a mechanic said it sounded like it was my turbo so then I told my mechanic and he said it probably isn't, until he plugged something into my car and took it for a spin and then it said that seems to be the problem. 

In that case I hope you have kept your old turbo.  Might come handy one day for spares or you could sell it.

Go back to your mechanic and get him to blank off exhaust supply to EGR valve.  Might be a good idea to clean out EGR valve too to avoid getting fault codes. There is guidance somewhere on this forum.