ishkabibble

Looking for Rear Window Wiper Motor

8 posts in this topic

I'm looking for the motor for the rear window wiper for my 2006 SmartForTwo Pulse. Thanks  

If it has stopped working I can tell you how to fix it if your interested.

1 person likes this

It has stopped working. It's all seized up. I'd love to fix it. The part from MB is more than pricey. 

Ish. 

PS.  We used to live in Pickering.  

From my experience I found the shaft that the wiper arm connects to rusts up so bad that it swells in size.

Then it binds to the plastic housing that the wiper motor casing is made from.

The trick is to take it apart and grind down the shaft of the rust and then even a 'little' further to apply 'door hinge' grease which is almost like wax.

That should be enough to keep it alive for a few years, then a few drops of WD-40 or oil now and then on the shaft to keep the water out

Unfortunately I did not take photo's as I assumed someone had already done this before and posted it.

But after looking at your picture in post 25# (nicely done I might add) I have used your image to explain further the process.

1. When the casing is opened and the wiper shaft is exposed from underneath, I placed the casing with the shaft pointing upwards onto a 5" bench vice.

2. While the casing is resting on the jaws I placed the wiper nut back onto the shaft so as to strike the shaft downwards releasing it from the casing.

3. In my situation the casing did crack in order to release the shaft, which was not a problem, as the crack was easily taped up with good quality electrical tape after the shaft was grounded down from the rust and buttered up with the appropriate grease (Door hinge grease)

Knowing that there is either a design flaw in this assembly which causes water entry I realize that it is only a matter of time before they all fail.

Periodically I lubricate the shaft with oil to maintain lubrication and to attempt to reduce water entry.

To some it may be a short term solution but it is my solution that I'm happy with.

14 hours ago, cadillacman said:

I think you should check this topic on wipers, especially post #25

I found my rear wiper unit to be all metal casing, brass bushing for the spindle, and the only plastic was the gears.

If yours was not ... then we really should have pictures of that, added to that topic, so that others can know there are more than 1 type of unit.

PLASTIC.JPG

Typically, cars and SUV's with rear window wipers have this problem from time to time.  My Jeep Grand Cherokee had one and the wiper motor had to be replaced every couple of years, mainly from lack of use (and the resulting rust build-up).

It's an item which is often over-looked when it comes to maintenance.  I did eventually learn my lesson.

Nice picture in post #7 BTW.

For all of you who answered and sent advice....THANK YOU!  Husband went on Evilution for deconstruct instructions and then followed the tips that you were so kind to send. It worked. He packed grease around it to keep the corrosion under control. Save me close to $300 in parts and labour. THANKS AGAIN. 

Ish. 

1 person likes this