Paul

no start, says it's in 1st.

4 posts in this topic

shut down the car last night in neutral with e-brake on. Went out this morning and it wouldn't start. tried shifting etc and nothing changed, the indicator would flash for a few seconds after turning the key to start position. Checked on-line and found nothing useful. Battery is fairly new (by previous owners account), but when I hooked up a small power pack, the neutral light came on and it started. This is the first "cool" morning I have tried to start the car. Does this sound like just a weak battery or something else?

You may also want to check voltage while running with a multimeter. I've had failures of the voltage regulator which did not illuminate the "no charge" light on the dash, but when the voltage was checked with multimeter or scangauge readout, I found the alternator was in fact not charging. Battery could be good but just not getting recharged while driving.

well, it's been working properly for a month or so, with only two incidents where it would indicate being in gear, and wouldn't start. Both times, shifting back and forth from neutral, and 1st seemed to get it working again. The weather doesn't seem to be a factor, nor does having the car hot or cold. The battery seems to be OK, it was changed a year or so ago. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed for the time being.