Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Misstifyde

1999 Smart! Anyone else in the US with an oldie?

5 posts in this topic

Just joined yesterday to connect with like Smart  minds. I'm struggling with car care here in Seattle as I have the 1st Smart imported into the US in 1999. And the car shops all think it should be treated like the newer ones. Not so, says I!

For one, it's always had traditional oil. Not synthetic. They always want to up sell that. You have to pump the oil out. No drain plug (Is that the case with newer ones too? Just wondering). I don't think it should change. But value opinions. I'm taking it in tomorrow for a check up and oil change (German only car shop).

10145 original Kilometers (yes, it is all in KM, as it was shipped from a friend in Germany back in the day. I know that's no big deal everywhere else in the world. But the US is backwards!). Now that I am in Seattle (from Montana), I can actually drive it year round! :D:D

Anywho, would love to know if anyone else has an oldie but a goodie. And thanks! 

Edited by Misstifyde
Typo

Welcome!

Your car requires fully synthetic oil, always has, always will.  It's in the owner's manual and all other smart factory documentation.  Fairly warned be thee, says I :blink: 

The oldest known (to us) smart in the USA has the VIN WME01MC01YH006094, which makes it the 6094th smart ever made, back in 1998.

10,241 first generation (450 type) smarts were officially imported into Canada between 2004 and 2007.  All of them have the diesel engine.  The diesel also does not have a drain plug.  The newer fortwos do have one.

About 1020 first generation smarts (450) were officially imported with NHTSA and USDOT approval between 2002 and 2006, all converted to US specs by G&K in Los Angeles.  These cars are legal in all 50 states.   All other first generation smarts in the US are not...

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, Mike T said:

Welcome!

Your car requires fully synthetic oil, always has, always will.  It's in the owner's manual ..............

Referring to the above quote, one of the advantages of using synthetic oil is that the oil changes don't need to be as frequent.  That said, according to the owner's manual for the diesel models here (in Canada) require it every 8,000 kms (5,000 miles), but most owners change it at about 5,000 kms (3,000 miles) because an oil change is cheaper than a new engine.  The gas models also require synthetic oil, but the oil changes are less frequent.  I don't know the recommended distances for the gas models, but I'm sure someone else will chime in with that information.  For the sake of your engine and many more miles of happy motoring, always use synthetic oil.

All that said, I must also :welcome: you to the club.  Enjoy your stay :)

On 10/26/2016 at 0:34 PM, Mike T said:

Welcome!

Your car requires fully synthetic oil, always has, always will.  It's in the owner's manual and all other smart factory documentation.  Fairly warned be thee, says I :blink: 

The oldest known (to us) smart in the USA has the VIN WME01MC01YH006094, which makes it the 6094th smart ever made, back in 1998.

10,241 first generation (450 type) smarts were officially imported into Canada between 2004 and 2007.  All of them have the diesel engine.  The diesel also does not have a drain plug.  The newer fortwos do have one.

About 1020 first generation smarts (450) were officially imported with NHTSA and USDOT approval between 2002 and 2006, all converted to US specs by G&K in Los Angeles.  These cars are legal in all 50 states.   All other first generation smarts in the US are not...

Thanks. Good to know. Although this car does has not had synthetic oil ever that I am aware of.My Dad was a stickler for maintenance. The owners manual that I have is all in German, so I can't really refer to it for anything. LOL Would you happen to know where I could get my hands on one?

This car when sent over in 1999 did not come USDOT inspected. However it was "approved and signed off on" and has been fully legal. We were told at the time it was brought over, that there were no others in the US. I stand corrected. Not that it matters. It's just cool to drive a funky Smart like no other that I have ever seen.

Thanks for your wisdom! Enjoying the forum! T

4 hours ago, Leadwing said:

Referring to the above quote, one of the advantages of using synthetic oil is that the oil changes don't need to be as frequent.  That said, according to the owner's manual for the diesel models here (in Canada) require it euls also require synthetic oil, but the oil changes are less frequent.  I don't know the recommended distances for the gas models, but I'm sure someone else will chime in with that information.  For the sake of your engine and many more miles of happy motoring, always use synthetic oil.

All that said, I must also :welcome: you to the club.  Enjoy your stay :)

Thanks for the welcome. I'm aware of the value of synthetic oil. I run it in my Jetta. But because it wasn't ever used in the Smart I didn't want to use something I shouldn't! Cheers!